Well... I'm totally devastated :'(

jbarbaresi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Goode, VA
i don't think nitrate at 40ppm would be toxic to anything but the most sensitive of fish species, definitely not a large hardy pleco like that. even .25 ammonia will not be fatal only decrease a fish's health long term. i would keep searching for another culprit, or if none of the other fish seem stressed it is always possible the pleco had some kind of congenital disease.

sorry for your loss.

_Jessica_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
MA
How long has the tank been reading ammonia? The formalin in the quick cure can kill the good bacteria in your biofilter. I would suspect a combination of the meds, ammonia, maybe he even had a touch of the bacterial infection.

Anyways...sorry for your loss :( he was a very pretty pleco.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Some thoughts...

If the nitrates are staying that high, even with the frequent water changes, that indicates the tank is overstocked. Traces of ammonia indicate that the filtering may not be up to the task of the overstocked tank.

While that level of Nitrate, ammonia, or the medication alone should not have killed a common pleco, combine the stress of each factor, and the fish may be in trouble.

That also would explain the original finrot issue. Poor water conditions are also a common cause of finrot.

More water changes would help with the nitrate, more filtering would help with the ammonia, but real solution is more tank. ;)

Sorry you lost such a nice fish :(

Ian

KittyKatFish100

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
Nowhere
Thanks everybody. I moved some fish out of that tank to relieve some of the pressure put on my filtration. The fish look fine and are swimming around and eating. I'm going to do 50% changes from now on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store