Went to buy some shrubs....

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
They'd do fine without heat, although originally from Africa - these are far from their original ancestors. Chickens originate from Jungle Fowl in the Philippines, but do well in cold climates.
Be wary of using heat for them, if you ever lose electricity & do not have a generator, the lack of heat can kill them since they are adjusted to having it. I have a large mixed flock of chickens/ducks/geese & they get nothing in their coop. We overwinter them by wrapping the coop in plastic to avoid drafts & they do fine.
Also be wary of a heat lamp for fire reasons. They make infrared panels you can use for heating that are less of a fire hazard. My friend lost her entire house when he coop caught fire from a heat lamp.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Chickens originate from Jungle Fowl in the Philippines,
I remember reading about them and one of the things I read was that they used to die of fright while being caught. It’s so fascinating since the chickens we have today are so fierce.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They'd do fine without heat, although originally from Africa - these are far from their original ancestors. Chickens originate from Jungle Fowl in the Philippines, but do well in cold climates.
Be wary of using heat for them, if you ever lose electricity & do not have a generator, the lack of heat can kill them since they are adjusted to having it. I have a large mixed flock of chickens/ducks/geese & they get nothing in their coop. We overwinter them by wrapping the coop in plastic to avoid drafts & they do fine.
Also be wary of a heat lamp for fire reasons. They make infrared panels you can use for heating that are less of a fire hazard. My friend lost her entire house when he coop caught fire from a heat lamp.
We do have a generator:)
Since ours are in a repurposed grain bin if it did catch fire it would just burn up them, the shelter and their bedding. The bin itself is metal and not close enough to anything else for a fire to spread.
If it was a traditional coop I would definitely be concerned about it being a fire hazard.

I don’t think I ever knew that about chickens. How interesting!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I remember reading about them and one of the things I read was that they used to die of fright while being caught. It’s so fascinating since the chickens we have today are so fierce.
Yes, chickens are so fierce.......if you're a worm!

After all, they are direct descendants of the dinosaurs. So basically a chicken is a shrunken down tyrannosaurus rex with feathers and a cluck!!!

Round our way it is forbidden to go out after dark because there are gangs of leather clad chickens with baseball bats on the prowl.

Come on fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 man up.

• Haha
Reactions: MrsE88 and deeda

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY

After all, they are direct descendants of the dinosaurs. So basically a chicken is a shrunken down tyrannosaurus rex with feathers and a cluck!!!

Round our way it is forbidden to go out after dark because there are gangs of leather clad chickens with baseball bats on the prowl.

Or any small creature in their enclosure. Mine will kill anything in their run - they got into a squirrel nest & were pulling the pinkies apart like tug of war. They'll kill snakes too.
My roo protected his girls from a fisher cat, so they can be fierce as hell. I have some scars from trying to get eggs away from broody hens. Don't count them out.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Or any small creature in their enclosure. Mine will kill anything in their run - they got into a squirrel nest & were pulling the pinkies apart like tug of war. They'll kill snakes too.
My roo protected his girls from a fisher cat, so they can be fierce as hell. I have some scars from trying to get eggs away from broody hens. Don't count them out.
Interesting.

I'll never look at chicken nuggets the same way again ?

Of course, you also have the chickens they breed and train for cock-fighting (Get your mind out of the gutter, guys)

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.

Chickens aren’t fierce? You never had fighting roosters or been to a game farm I’m guessing? I’d love for you to square up with a man (hater) fighter rooster and say they aren’t fierce. They aren’t afraid of anything. It would be like you trying to rush an elephant. No fear. But still squashed. Lol.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Chickens aren’t fierce? You never had fighting roosters or been to a game farm I’m guessing? I’d love for you to square up with a man (hater) fighter rooster and say they aren’t fierce. They aren’t afraid of anything. It would be like you trying to rush an elephant. No fear. But still squashed. Lol.
Hehe. They are indeed fierce creatures.
My fil had to get rid of a rooster because he got so tired of getting attacked. Lol

So far I haven’t seen that kind of fierceness from my guineas. They rush cats and dogs and will run after anything with a motor, but they don’t attack.
Just flap their wings and make a bunch of noise. Haha.

Reactions: ECW

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Today is our coldest day so far this winter, 0F with a real feel of -10.
I went out to check the birds and refill food/water. I was surprised to see they had eight eggs laying around!
(Large store bought chicken egg for size comparison)
E47A4CCE-DFBE-47E0-A99D-1B74867CD78C.jpeg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
MrsE88 MrsE88 do all guineas look like that or is it because they’re a certain breed that they have that lovey look?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store