Went to buy some shrubs....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
MrsE88 MrsE88 do all guineas look like that or is it because they’re a certain breed that they have that lovey look?
There are different kinds and different color variations too. My husbands grandma has some beautiful violet ones. I’d really like to get one or two from her come spring.
I believe mine are just your standard helmeted guinea.

Now these guys would be absolutely amazing to have? but not as cold hardy from what I’ve read. And they are spendy.
71D21066-FED6-4A12-96C2-687E9206C5E6.png

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My husband and I were talking on Saturday about having to make sure the kids start checking themselves for ticks. That lead into a conversation about tick carried illnesses....

Come Sunday we are out and about getting block for a patio and decided to stop and look at shrubs. Husband asks if I think they are still selling chicks. I told him I doubt it, kinda late I’m the spring now. We went in for a look... sure enough they still had a big group of guinea keets. The guy asked if we wanted them all, I said no. Maybe 4-6.

Guy “How about a “good six””

Husband and I “sure”

And here is the “good six”
View attachment 1374481

I’ve never cared for these guys before and I hope I don’t lose too many. One isn’t looking too great so I have some reading to do. If all goes well we will have a nice little flock and some pest control. Haha!
Cute little puffs!

Reactions: MrsE88

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
MrsE88 MrsE88 do all guineas look like that or is it because they’re a certain breed that they have that lovey look?
They look lovely because they have very tidy and good colored feather due to good health. Also because they puff into ball in the cold temperature.:ROFL:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They look lovely because they have very tidy and good colored feather due to good health. Also because they puff into ball in the cold temperature.:ROFL:
Haha, birds are always so adorable when they puff up.

For some time I thought guineas were, for the most part, ugly. Just not as pleasing to the eye as say.... a chicken. But I’ve quickly changed my mind. These guys are beautiful in their own right. And I could sit and watch them in the yard for hours. They are so entertaining.

**Not my picture**
Just look at this girls face❤ Such prehistoric beauty 59B66605-A277-498C-9618-F38633CE2E86.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You could always put them in the oven, especially this time of year. That should be very cosy for them! :naughty:
Guinea fowl don't taste so great. Tough, dry chicken tbh.

These birds live around everywhere here. Outside my house, at the park, at school etc. Quite funny to watch them squabble and they'll sometimes chase each other at high speeds. God forbid you hit one with your car though, would suck to be these people:IMG-20200102-WA0001.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MrsE88 and deeda

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Guinea fowl don't taste so great. Tough, dry chicken tbh.

These birds live around everywhere here. Outside my house, at the park, at school etc. Quite funny to watch them squabble and they'll sometimes chase each other at high speeds. God forbid you hit one with your car though, would suck to be these people:View attachment 1400302
Yikes!
This is why I slow way down when fowl are near the road?

The birds might not taste good, but their eggs sure do?
Are the wild ones skiddish?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yikes!
This is why I slow way down when fowl are near the road?

The birds might not taste good, but their eggs sure do?
Are the wild ones skiddish?
Yeah they usually don't fly like that!

Wonder what a gfowl egg would be like. How would you compare it?

Suburban guineafowl are pretty used to people and generally don't move until you're real close. On the farms they'll keep a good distance from you

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah they usually don't fly like that!

Wonder what a gfowl egg would be like. How would you compare it?

Suburban guineafowl are pretty used to people and generally don't move until you're real close. On the farms they'll keep a good distance from you
To me they taste like a better quality chicken egg. So very similar to a chicken egg, just enhanced a little. If that makes sense.
The shells are shockingly thick! So they take a good strong crack to break them open.

Reactions: Hendre and tlindsey

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The hens are just lovely.

My wife spends a fortune on wild bird food, but was too close and personal with poultry processing a s a kid, and she won't have domestic birds about.

But I have the dogs, cats, and 100 new guppies to console me.
And Felix the Oscar, who will eventually consume most of them.

Sometimes it's a fish eat fish world, but in my case.... I'm gonna go make an omelet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store