What are you going to do with ur tanks when u move out??

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Last year, my girlfriend and I tried leaving home, but it only lasted for 8 months....Moving out has its pro and cons, just be sure you have a good job and a car before making the big step........I'm 25, going on 26 on August 10 and I still live at home....My dad works 2 jobs, so the house is pretty much mine....I converted the garage into a fish room, so it looks like I'll be home for awhile....I'm registering for the spring classes at San Francisco State which is only 10-15 minutes away.....I also have the Carpenter's Union Hall within a bike's ride from the house....As a bachalor, I think I got it made.....:cool-1:

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I still have some of the tanks I used as a teenager,some I got used 30 years ago it all depends on what your plans are and how supportive your parents are

swingsetredemption

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2006
Iowa
I would talk your parents into letting you keep the tanks there, don't you have some sort of storage room, or tell them you will just empty them and put them where your room was. Try to give/sell your fish away to good homes or if your really lucky you can try to teach somebody how to care for your tanks. I'm leaving for an internship next summer and then to college that fall. I guess the dorm,(which is more or less an apartment), I will be living in will easyly fit a 55g but I'm not sure if the roommates/billfold will allow that. I'm going to have a hard enough time trying to talk them into letting me keep a drum set in there.
-justin

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I sold/gave away my fish and tanks before I went to college (about 10 tanks total) Just make sure that no matter what, you hang on to your filters, pumps, hoods and all the smaller expensive stuff. I did, and glad for it!

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
why not do what i did....get one big tank instead of 4 smaller ones...and im gonna set up another tank in the basment but thats gonna be for everyone too look at....and ill take all my tanks with me...actually by the time i move ill prob just tare them down and buy new tanks since these will be in not the greatest shape...

CichlidKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Connecticut
figure out how large of a tank you can keep at school.
If you are going to live in a dorm i believe the limit is a 10 gallon.
or if you are renting a house near your school take the biggest one you have.
regardless all you need is one tank, and storing your other tanks may just be a waste of your time. if you have large tanks, than its worth keeping and storing them for four years. If you only have 10s or 20s then just sell them to a friend with everything included. if you are only worrying about small tanks, just sell them, and buy a new one from a store near your school. that way you don't need to transport the tank, depending on how far away your school is from 'home'. When you get outta school you will be to busy and poor. save your money when you are in school, and after you graduate and have a well paying job, then buy a huge monster tank.

in conclusion, girls like fish tanks, people will love to hang out in your room because of the tank. just make sure nobody drops gum or pours keg beer in your tank. I had this happen multiple times to me.
i just graduated this past year and that is what worked for me.
Best of Luck in School.
and if you happen to come across a keg, give it a hug for me :cheers: :cheers:

casperbgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
NSW, Australia
im going to have to get rid of my tanks when i leave, im going travelling for a year then off to join the air force (hopefully). i think that while your at college/uni youll probably have much more important things to do then keep fish (i know, its hard to believe) and you might not ahve a heap of money to spare. id definitely miss my fish if i had to give them away but itd be cool to be able to start again with lots of money, all the knowledge gained and a house to fill with tanks.

i dont really have a choice anyway..mum said there was no chance she would be stuck here looking after all my fish:lol2:

black_monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
NoVA
u cant take ur fishtanks wid u cuz ur probably goin to live in a dorm and they dont accept ne thing like that. if u want to take ur fish tanks wid u, than ud probably have to rent a apartment wid a room mate or so. im in ur situation too. im goin to college in 2 yrs so i got rid of most of my fish and currently owning 3 tanks from previous of 5. im juss goin to leave one or two tanks when i go to college and my dad will be takin care for me.

Demon_fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2006
Peoria, Illinois
Honestly!! It dosnt help either when my dad automatically takes my moms side even when he doesnt know what we are arguing about.
And it not just parents either its teachers, and any other scool peoples.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store