What are you going to do with ur tanks when u move out??

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Get rid of the fish but keep the tanks and other hardware in storage or in your parent's basement.

I still regret getting rid of my tanks (most were 20 gal. longs) when I moved out. Besides, I just bought more tanks in a year or two anyways, but even now 11 years later I still don't have the collection I had in high school. Funny how now I have a whole house with only a total of 4 tanks (one empty) but then I had like 10 all crammed into one bedroom!

Jo_nz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
******** of nowhere - New Zealand
I understand many people are ok with text and shortened speech. But I find it difficult, you see I am one of these people who speed reads lines at a time. I can ignore grammer and spelling mistakes, but I find shortened phonetisised typing very difficult. The reason being is that I need to sound out each phonetic spelling in my head and when you speed-read it is similar to touch typing with gloves on. It takes a great deal of effort to do so.

Back to the general discussion; I see people shifting tanks and fish when renting or leasing their home, if you move on a fairly regular basis the risk of stock and equipment loss is high. Landlords are not too happy about taking the risk, especially when insurance against tenant damage is extremely expensive, difficult to get and very strict. Many policies have a no pets clause and 4 week inspections built into them.

raceguy333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2005
SC
Back to the general discussion; I see people shifting tanks and fish when renting or leasing their home, if you move on a fairly regular basis the risk of stock and equipment loss is high. Landlords are not too happy about taking the risk, especially when insurance against tenant damage is extremely expensive, difficult to get and very strict. Many policies have a no pets clause and 4 week inspections built into them.
I've moved my tanks several times. The only losses I have had in moving were two females which I left in with their males (ugh, thought it'd be ok.. was wrong) that were killed due to aggression. It's not that hard if done correctly.

Also, in my area, most of the apartments have the 'no pets' clause, but when asked about fish they said, "yea, those are fine." I kept 7 tanks in my second floor apartment with the approval of the landlords. These are the same landlords that had a "no kegs allowed and no 'parties'" policy that defined a party as more than 10 people in the apartment.

When I went off to school, I left my tanks at home and went home every few weeks to do waterchanges. You really only need someone to feed the tanks while you are away and all major cleaning can be done on weekends. I later moved off campus and moved my tanks to school (and set up more). I think that if you really want to keep them, then you can, but if you are going to get to school and lose interest, then it's probably better that you sell them off before you go.

Bassman89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Rockin down the Highway USA
i have no idea what im a gonna do when i go to college next year..i have a 150 tall and with the stand it stands about 6 feet tall...too big for a college dorm room...maybe i can smooge dad into takin care of it for me...im not even gonna bother with mom lol

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
i have no idea what im a gonna do when i go to college next year..i have a 150 tall and with the stand it stands about 6 feet tall...too big for a college dorm room...maybe i can smooge dad into takin care of it for me...im not even gonna bother with mom lol
Keep it no matter what! I've noticed that the price of larger tanks have gone up quite a bit in the last few years for used ones.

EvilMonkey666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2005
CT
I will never move. By the time I have to move my tanks, they will be scraping the fossilized bones off my foundation. :D

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
I take my growouts with me down to school, and let my parents watch the bigger tanks that would be too hard to transport. It really is not as big of a job as you would think to move the tanks. I set them up down there and only take them back for winter break and summer vacation. So far, I've never lost a fish during the transport process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store