What are your thoughts on fish like Pacu being sold

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
I get it, it's a matter of opinion and I respect that.

I'm not for banning them at all, hell, I own Oscar's, bichirs and mayans myself. But a simple permit or registration would be alright, just like fishing.

I dont understand why everyone has to make it a government/ big brother thing out of the bat.

But consider this. Is it worth it for you keep decimating local species and fauna over signing a permit and still get to own your monster fish?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
People have dogs and horses and don't take care of them correctly. Heck people even have children and don't take care of them correctly.
I always say that you need to take tests to get a license and drive a car but anyone can have a child.
That being said I don't think we need a "fish welfare department". I am not of the mindset that we need more laws and regulation in this country. More bureaucrats and policers isn't going to do anything but cost more taxes. And if we just start outlawing having fish where will that end? Like jaws said you want to outlaw oscars?

Go to the dog pound if you want to see animals suffer. It's not just the LFS.
There are people starving on this earth. What are the priorities?

Will the fish police start coming to my house and cite me because my fish are too big for my tank?

Tanks of Steel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Dallas
SwampFins SwampFins
Government never gets smaller. The rate at which laws are passed verses deleted are not equal. Some of us would just rather not let their foot in the door of our aquarium rooms. As for supporting native species, like hunters do with permitting funding conservation, I have no problem with an embedded tax that goes towards conservation as long as governing body are not allowed to pilfer the funds and disposition them toward other non-related activities (bailing out other programs).

Reactions: pescado209

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
SwampFins SwampFins
Government never gets smaller. The rate at which laws are passed verses deleted are not equal. Some of us would just rather not let their foot in the door of our aquarium rooms. As for supporting native species, like hunters do with permitting funding conservation, I have no problem with an embedded tax that goes towards conservation as long as governing body are not allowed to pilfer the funds and disposition them toward other non-related activities (bailing out other programs).
They always spend spend spend. Absolutely against more taxes. Social security was not to be touched and the gov started using that for other things.
In California we allowed gambling to save the schools. What happened to that money?
You can never feed them enough revenue. It's always take take take. It's unsustainable. You can't print money forever. NO MORE TAXES.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sure there is such thing as a simple permit. You technically need one to keep any exotic species in NJ. https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/exotic_faq.htm. For example I filled one out years ago for a Ball Python.

They only cost $20. This would allow anyone who really wants one, to get one, and dissuade people who would otherwise impulse-buy species that are cheap and available, but grow huge, like the pacu and ID shark.

And on the slippery slope, I see what you are saying, personally I feel like 2' would be a good cutoff point. Would keep the permit to only species which most hobbyists can't house. Most people can get a 75-100 gallon tank and keep Oscars etc. Most anc't get a 1000 gallon tank for pacu.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
So do you ban the sale of oscars and mayans ?

The problem with special orders is it only takes these fish out of the lfs. Doesnt stop online sales.
I feel like that would eliminate much of the problem though. Most people don't buy fish online. This is just my own assumption, but I think the majority of people who do buy fish online are doing their homework before going through all that effort and added expense (shipping) to get a fish. Online/special order with a permit would prevent someone with a 20g from impulse buying a baby Oscar from Petco because it's cute or because an employee told them, "fish only grow to the size of your tank."

LFSs could facilitate special orders too, they don't necessarily have to stop selling any potentially restricted fish.

Reactions: Coryloach

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I feel like that would eliminate much of the problem though. Most people don't buy fish online. This is just my own assumption, but I think the majority of people who do buy fish online are doing their homework before going through all that effort and added expense (shipping) to get a fish. Online/special order with a permit would prevent someone with a 20g from impulse buying a baby Oscar from Petco because it's cute or because an employee told them, "fish only grow to the size of your tank."

LFSs could facilitate special orders too, they don't necessarily have to stop selling any potentially restricted fish.
Online sellers would get a competitive edge. Most lfs are in trouble not only because of the big box stores but online sales as well. I could order 10 small cichlids from rapps or coa for the price of what 2 or 3 would cost at an lfs

Say i want a pacu, i go to the lfs that is no longer able to carry them. My buddy whos a member here says "hey theres a whole vendor section on mfk, you can get what ever you need". Person still walks away with a pacu.

Shipping fish isnt that expensive at all especially if you live a decent drive from a good lfs. I bet it would be cheaper than having your lfs facilitate the special order as they are going to make a profit for being the middle man

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I disagree with everybody (what's new?). This just gives more ammo for the litigators and politicians and bureaucrats. Let's outlaw oscars in California and Arizona because they grow big and are an invasive species. Here we go. Let me make sure the chocolate cichlid I want isn't on the banned fish list! Oh and by the way, that peacock bass you just bought in New Mexico? It's illegal now. Didn't you know? Yes, it could be released in a lake and destroy everything! Do you have a licence for exotic fish? Your neighbor reported you! Yes we have a warrant to search your house. :duh:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Say i want a pacu, i go to the lfs that is no longer able to carry them. My buddy whos a member here says "hey theres a whole vendor section on mfk, you can get what ever you need". Person still walks away with a pacu.
The people who are willing to go on MFK and find a pacu, would probably be willing to fill out a permit form and pay a 20$ fee as well. This buyer would know what they are getting into, the bigger problem to me is these fish being sold to any harry dick and sally who walks into Petco. I work at Petco currently, they were selling iridescent sharks to people with small tanks until I started there, now we don't carry them.

I can kind of see where you guys are coming from, not wanting your favorite fish to be banned or require a permit, but nobody here has said that these fish should be illegal, banned, or unavailable. Just a little more difficult to buy, in order to keep them in the hands of dedicated hobbyists, or people who are committed to keeping the fish in proper housing. to me, the safety of the large number of fish that get mistreated because they are so readily available and easy to buy, is much more important than the slight inconvenience of having to fill out a permit. I honestly don't see any downside to requiring a simple permit form and $20 fee to buy an animal that will cost thousands of dollars to house properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store