What are your thoughts on fish like Pacu being sold

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
All- Excuse me for my soapbox stuff. Sometimes I get riled up.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So what would you suggest to fix the problem, if not laws or fees etc?
There are other ways to fix problems. Creating laws and fees arent always the answer. You said it yourself you made a positive changes at your petco... no fees required. Maybe forums like this would be more effective. Instead of forcing people to abide by something people like you could just pass along your knowledge. As time goes on more lfs workers who think like you can make more of an impact that restrictions

Reactions: LBDave

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Buddy if a permit is required who manages this process ?

A federal or local gov right. Saying big brother has nothing to do with politics.

These facts you speak where are they ? I get it, these threads always take this route. Your feelings are hurt because you thought every reply would be in agreement with your thoughts.

Stop being so binary. No one is talking about ideologies. Im just proving how what is being requested makes 0 sense.
:iagree:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
All- Excuse me for my soapbox stuff. Sometimes I get riled up.
Not a soap box man, just your opinion. Isnt that why the thread was started lol

Reactions: Tanks of Steel

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Not a soap box man, just your opinion. Isnt that why the thread was started lol
For sure agreed, civil debates are more or less what forums are for. I enjoy debating things here, I think we should be able to express our opinions without getting too riled up.

So this guy should have to get a permit to keep fish larger than 2ft or just have to go through a big hassle to obtain the fish, but someone can pick up 10 oscars and cram them into what ever tank they have ???

If any of you can make this sound logical to me then i'll fold my cards and call it quits.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/new-600-gallon-pentair-fiberglass-build.715442/
My answer to this, would be don't leave everything broken, just because you can't fix 100% of the issues. If your car breaks down, you've got a blown transmission, and also the motor that brings your window up and down is also blown and the part is discontinued, can't get a new one. You can get a new transmission. Do you scrap the whole car because you can't get the window motor?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
For sure agreed, civil debates are more or less what forums are for. I enjoy debating things here, I think we should be able to express our opinions without getting too riled up.

My answer to this, would be don't leave everything broken, just because you can't fix 100% of the issues. If your car breaks down, you've got a blown transmission, and also the motor that brings your window up and down is also blown and the part is discontinued, can't get a new one. You can get a new transmission. Do you scrap the whole car because you can't get the window motor?
I get what your saying man but it doesnt explain why te guy with the 600 gal needs a permit to get the fish he wants when i can go out and by a bunch if o's and stick them in a 20 gal.

I have no facts to back this up but i would bet my lunch that pacu dont suffer as much as oscars. So if the lives of fish are top priority why stop at 2ft ? This doesnt work in a vacuum bro... it never does. Regardless of me being accused of passing along my ideology regulations hardly ever stay the course and almost always veer into areas that make us regret what we originally wanted.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I think that the point of laws like that coming in is because although many people have the morals, knowledge and love for animal and nature to do the right thing, many others just don't care about anything but their own satisfaction and entertainment. The only way to stop restrictive laws getting implemented is to get everyone to stop acting foolishly, destructively and cruelly to animals, nature and other people but we all know that's not going to happen, or the world would be heaven...

Reactions: islandguy11

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I get what your saying man but it doesnt explain why te guy with the 600 gal needs a permit to get the fish he wants when i can go out and by a bunch if o's and stick them in a 20 gal.

I have no facts to back this up but i would bet my lunch that pacu dont suffer as much as oscars. So if the lives of fish are top priority why stop at 2ft ? This doesnt work in a vacuum bro... it never does. Regardless of me being accused of passing along my ideology regulations hardly ever stay the course and almost always veer into areas that make us regret what we originally wanted.
On the O's thing- I'd be down to pay $20 for an Oscar permit as well! Maybe I'm a bleeding heart liberal (consider myself a moderate tbh) but the animal welfare comes before most other concerns to me- certainly miles ahead of the shopping convenience of pet owners. 2' is kind of an arbitrary limit I thought of, because of the very negative reactions some people have to the idea of the permits at all. if the limit was 2', it would still let people buy small fish willy-nilly, and keep things like pacus out of the hands of casual impulse shoppers at Petco.

Basically, my opinion is this; there is a problem here. Large fish are far more often than not, neglected, and are very easily available. You can't educate everyone, and beyond that, you can't make everyone care. The information is all readily available; but the vast majority of people don't bother to look it up, and from working in fish stores for years, I can tell you that many people even after being educated, decide the fish's health is less important to them than their short-term amusement. I don't see a single way to stop this rampant neglect other than some sort of government intervention, requiring a permit or something similar. If there was another way, I'd be happy to hear it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store