What Bichir for a 160g/600L tank.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you have a big budget exotic fish shop has a platinum bichir for 700 or I would say ornate or dehlzi
I absolutely would not do albino or platinum or silver fish for that matter. That is asking for interaction. Good way to throw $700 away. I dont feed myself $700 meals.

Liaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
Most of the lower jaw species of polys have the potential to get 24+ inches long and quite thick also. Not that those sizes are super common but potentially a possibility. That should hopefully dissuade the lizard from hunting the polys not sure on the other way though. I had a friend that would feed his sens a bullfrog every couple weeks. They would attack and tear it apart. I would stay away from most upper jaw polys as they are potentially always going to be on the menu and look to something like endlicheri. With endlis you could possibly have a 16 to 18" fish in around a year. They are pretty easy to find. Not super expensive. And over all nice pattern/coloring. They dont normally exceed 24" either but do have that posibility. Most polys grow relatively fast for the first 2 years after that it slows down alot but these fish can live 25+ years and will continue to grow most of their lives.

There is absolutely no telling from either direction how this will pan out. I am excited to see what your finish product is!
Good luck.
Thank you, that gives me a bit to think about. While a large predator fish would be awesome, I need to take things into consideration. Which is why I'm asking about the fish and lizard around forums from experienced folks in advance. The paludarium will be built! Whenever these fishes or lizards will live there or not, we'll see. It will take a few months, building, cycling water, letting plants settle, and of course, find the major inhabitants that will live there. Who knows, maybe in the end there will be turtles and salamanders, sailfin lizards or other fun creatures. However, the polys are on the priority.
I live in Sweden, so there isn't a whole lot of them around, which is why I'm starting to look now in advance. So I have plenty of time finding one or two, instead of finishing the project, and be standing there for weeks without anything to put in it.
Ah, babbled like crazy, have a great day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store