What cichlids are these

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I edited your pic a bit, to try and see distinguishing features, but at the angle they are posed, it is hard to tell.
fullsizeoutput_5bb.jpeg
the mouth is a bit distorted (large) maybe, because of the perspective, and if they were shown as a side view it might be easier to tell.
The dark ear mark, is a distinguishing feature of the genus Hemichromis, but the colors aren't helpful, and they may be washed out due to stress.
If this is a dealers tank, the other cichlid to the right, is African, so they may be African of Tilapine innate.
It is possible they could just be washed out Jack Dempseys, or JDs someone tried to line breed for a yellow morph without success, and dumped them at a LFS.
But unless a better photo showing a side view, would be helpful.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Ye
I edited your pic a bit, to try and see distinguishing features, but at the angle they are posed, it is hard to tell.
View attachment 1280875
the mouth is a bit distorted (large) maybe, because of the perspective, and if they were shown as a side view it might be easier to tell.
The dark ear mark, is a distinguishing feature of the genus Hemichromis, but the colors aren't helpful, and they may be washed out due to stress.
If this is a dealers tank, the other cichlid to the right, is African, so they may be African of Tilapine innate.
It is possible they could just be washed out Jack Dempseys, or JDs someone tried to line breed for a yellow morph without success, and dumped them at a LFS.
S thanks for the response I am going 2 buy the pair Wednesday for better pics I was thinking tilapia but hadnt thought of hemichromis

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
View attachment 1280875
Here is another pic I found20171023_111811.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Of course there is also the hybrid issue.
With everyone and their sister trying to create frankenfish, anything you find at a LFS these days, could end up being simply a mutt, born of someones mediocre attempt at playing god.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
With your latest shot, I'm beginning to think they may be Chiapaheros grammodes, or istlanta.

Grammodes are a very aggressive species from southern Mexico, best kept in a species tank, definitely not a community fish, unless the tank is 200+gallons and all other fish are larger, and very resilient.
They are beautiful, and don't get too large but.....
Many people return them to LFSs after they kill everything in their tank.
One of my favorite species, I started with half dozen, and ended up with a pair, after 3 spawns, my male killed its mate.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
With your latest shot, I'm beginning to think they may be Chiapaheros grammodes, or istlanta.

Grammodes are a very aggressive species from southern Mexico, best kept in a species tank, definitely not a community fish, unless the tank is 200+gallons and all other fish are larger, and very resilient.
They are beautiful, and don't get too large but.....
Many people return them to LFSs after they kill everything in their tank.
One of my favorite species, I started with half dozen, and ended up with a pair, after 3 spawns, my male killed its mate.

I was wondering istlanum but I didn't know grammodes as they don't have the same colour

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I can see why duanes would think grammodes, based on the markings on the side of the fish, but the face structure and mouth look way off to me. I'd wager it's tilapia of some sort, most likely African.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Yes it's what tilapia is the question though aha
I can see why duanes would think grammodes, based on the markings on the side of the fish, but the face structure and mouth look way off to me. I'd wager it's tilapia of some sort, most likely African.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store