What do I need my baby clown knife fish?

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
A few days ago I picked up a 4" to 5" knife fish and he won't eat. It could just be that he is getting used to my aquarium but he just sits in his little cave and barely ever comes out. I have tried feeding him cichlid gold pellets and small cut up pieces of trout fillet. If you have any ideas on what to feed him please help me.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It could be a while before it goes after any pellets,try feeding it small worms.....bloodworms,blackworms.Small earthworms would be great if it takes them.

Reactions: tlindsey

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
I went outside and caught some earth worms and cleaned them off and my clown knife immediately ate one. Thank you so much. I did have to split the worm in half because it was a little big but then he ate it as soon as it came near him.(my Oscar enjoyed the worms as well.)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I went outside and caught some earth worms and cleaned them off and my clown knife immediately ate one. Thank you so much. I did have to split the worm in half because it was a little big but then he ate it as soon as it came near him.(my Oscar enjoyed the worms as well.)
Glad to hear it and yeah,Oscars love the worms too....there isn't too much that they don't love lol!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
Glad to hear it and yeah,Oscars love the worms too....there isn't too much that they don't love lol!
True. Thank you so much for the advice. I was getting worried that he wouldnt move around or eat. He seems fine now and started move around the tank more today.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
What kind of knifefish, ?
Hand feed him earthworms till he recognizes you as "the food person" then switch in other foods like silversides, krill, live crickets,fresh squid etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store