What do you guys do for work?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I just realized I never actually replied to this thread lol

My main gig that pays my mortgage is a fisheries biologist. I work as a contractor doing work mandated by the St John's River Water Management District in NE Florida. It sounds cool, but the meat and potatoes of what I do is phosphate mitigation in ponds. I also spend a disproportionate amount of time convincing landowners not to kill beneficial native wetland plants. It is a pretty cool job in that I basically get paid (quite well) to drive around in a boat and listen to podcasts all day. The need to be constantly driving is, however, why I have a hard time doing stuff on MFK during peak season (summer).

In addition to this, I am on the board of directors for a major 501c3 nonprofit focused on the conservation of wetland plants in the Southeastern Coastal Plain. My position is as the Head of Conservation, placing me in charge of the Conservation Committee.

I am a credentialed faculty member of the University of Florida. I am listed as an extension office associate instructor; my job is to give classes to locals in relation to wetland plants.

I own a large nature preserve on the FL/GA line with many rare and endangered species in it to include pitcher plants, orchids and gopher tortoises. The main focus of my preserve is, again, wetland plants lol.

I consider running MFK to be something of a part time job. You all know what I do here: try to keep the train from running off a cliff and piss everyone off in the process. The manner in which I behave here is entirely disparate from the manner in which I behave in my own spaces ( Hendre Hendre can testify to this). I am a worse troll than any of you, I just have to behave myself here because the MFK logo is my avatar. I may not be liked, but I try to enforce the rules fairly.

Finally, I have a minor side hustle of photography. Pets, weddings, portraits, etc. It brings in a bit of money.

And in one more FINAL final thing, a buddy of mine are partnering up to start a new apiary based business with the ultimate goal of brewing honey mead.

So I guess you could say I stay busy ?‍♂

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I consider running MFK to be something of a part time job. You all know what I do here: try to keep the train from running off a cliff and piss everyone off in the process. The manner in which I behave here is entirely disparate from the manner in which I behave in my own spaces ( .avatar--xss { width: 21px; height: 21px; line-height: 21px !important; margin-right: 2px; } Hendre Hendre @Hendre can testify to this). I am a worse troll than any of you, I just have to behave myself here because the MFK logo is my avatar. I may not be liked, but I try to enforce the rules fairly.
You have no idea :banhim:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
If I was as busy as Chicx I certainly wouldn’t bother to hang around here, posting silly jokes and fish photos…

At my age I get tired just reading about all that work.

OK I’m a little bit tired from sanding on these shelves all day. . .
1F13F684-7CC1-48A0-A0AF-6F5D67DACB77.jpeg

It was about 110F in the boat yard when I finally gave up.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
110F ???? You should be in a boat on a lake. . . .
Looks nice, but I’d have to go alone. Nobody I know will go out fishing in this heat. Also, nobody else is gonna finish building my hutch.

But there’s no schedule either. If I want to quit sanding I always have 12 dozen other things to work on.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Looks nice, but I’d have to go alone. Nobody I know will go out fishing in this heat. Also, nobody else is gonna finish building my hutch.

But there’s no schedule either. If I want to quit sanding I always have 12 dozen other things to work on.
You know what they say.....'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'....... just sayin

and who said fishing? I was thinking more along the lines of this kind of stuff...

1596561579669.png

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store