What else to feed my gulpers?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I just ran out of shrimp so Im going tomorrow to get more but was wondering what else would be good for them? If heard tilapia is good? Also is there anything I should avoid feeding? I also assume to try and get 100% natural which is wat I did with the shrimp.

My lfs sells large tadpoles and was also wondering if that would be okay or to avoid those?

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I would imagine tadpoles are fine. Certainly within the range of what these fish would eat in the wild.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I'm sure there are parasites and diseases that are transmissible from amphibians to fish, but I'd guess it's much easier to get them from feeder fishes, since the pathogens are already adapted to fish hosts.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Whatever you give them, freeze it first at minus 30-40 F and for a few weeks at least, better 60 days.

Marine fish have less of a chance of transferring a pathogen to your FW gulpers.

I'd avoid feeding them shrimp in any larger proportion than 25% to avoid thiaminase issues.

Wholesome foods are the best such as whole silversides or any fish sold whole - if it's too large, can cut it in pieces but feed the whole fish, head, scales, fins, guts - altogether or in pieces. That should mimic their natural diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store