What is a affordable but quality tank these days ??

Danny 1018

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2022
I would like to get back into the hobby... I see Oceanic tanks are no longer made. Their solid wood stands were also very nice too.

What is a comparable manufacturer these days ? I would like to buy a 75 gallon setup that is built right and won't leak on me as I have new wood floors.

I see the fish keeping hobby has changed a lot the past decade ! NYC/NJ shops like Shark Aquarium (NJ), Pet Shanty (NJ), Tropiquarium (NJ), Fishtown USA (NYC) and 38 Aquarium (NYC) are no longer in business.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would like to get back into the hobby... I see Oceanic tanks are no longer made. Their solid wood stands were also very nice too.

What is a comparable manufacturer these days ? I would like to buy a 75 gallon setup that is built right and won't leak on me as I have new wood floors.

I see the fish keeping hobby has changed a lot the past decade ! NYC/NJ shops like Shark Aquarium (NJ), Pet Shanty (NJ), Tropiquarium (NJ), Fishtown USA (NYC) and 38 Aquarium (NYC) are no longer in business.
Welcome aboard
FINWIN FINWIN

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I would recommend

Fish Tanks Direct, DreamTanks, Custom Aquariums. Best overall shipping prices Fish Tanks Direct. Tanks under 50 gal are Fedex, anything over that is freight. This applies to all companies including Amazon. Amazon has a few acrylic tanks but they are overpriced (max 50 gallon size)

If going acrylic SeaClear has best prices as a brand
TRUVU has a lot of 'fatboy' (wide) standard sizes
Custom aquariums top notch quality/durability (glass only). Only manufacturer that does caster cart stands. Top customer service. Lifetime warranty on tanks and stands.
GlassCages does acrylic also, has great customer service
Clear for Life acrylic tanks (pricier). They also have uniquariums that have built in filtration. Built in takes up 4 inches of footprint, so size up accordingly for volume.

Any new tank over 90 gallons involves $$$, you can't avoid it. Depending on what you want and size, larger tanks - 1200ish to 5000 and up for mega tanks. I had to do a lot of research because in my area there are no inexpensive options. Covid has escalated material supplies and shipping costs.

You could try used tanks but there's always the risk of leaks / previous sick tank. Not to mention a bunch of crusty stuff and crap fake plants.

Last edited:

Danny 1018

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2022
Thank you for reply. I priced checked a 75 gallon glass tank and it is a bit pricey at @ 750 dollars just for the tank. Are there any that a step above Aqueon and Marineland tanks (retail for around 250 dollars) ? I was hoping to pay no more than 400-500 dollars for a well made 75 gallon tank. I stopped by at a Petco store and see they have a sale where the Aqueon 75 is only 125 dollars.

Last edited:

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Petco/petsmart is always running a sale on their setups or get them used as the newbies from pandemic stay at home crowd is finding out “no time” when going back to work in their offices to deal with tanks you might get good deals out of it if you get it off sales/marketplace

Take your time IMO Starphire or “starfire” glass is what higher end tanks might be made out of those days-

Acrylics is more of the trend those days for most people with $ but it has a flaw it’s scratch too easy. You decide on what route you want and the general public visiting you at your place will not be able to tell the difference between higher end tank setup vs lower end setup let alone stock $$$$ pricetag- just the aquarists LOL ?

I definitely miss oceanic’s thick glass panels. One of the best reliable tanks ever.

Danny 1018

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2022
My "wants" is to get a well built glass tank that does not have thin glass and have silicone seals that will last 2 decades.
Something better than a mass produced tank but not pricey like a 750 dollar 75 gallon glass tank.

Oceanic tanks would meet my wants....but they got shut down. I gave away a 58 gallon Oceanic setup to a family member eight years ago. It had thick glass and a nice furniture quality wood stand. It is 20 years old and still leak free.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Danny 1018

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2022
Petco/petsmart is always running a sale on their setups or get them used as the newbies from pandemic stay at home crowd is finding out “no time” when going back to work in their offices to deal with tanks you might get good deals out of it if you get it off sales/marketplace

Take your time IMO Starphire or “starfire” glass is what higher end tanks might be made out of those days-

Acrylics is more of the trend those days for most people with $ but it has a flaw it’s scratch too easy. You decide on what route you want and the general public visiting you at your place will not be able to tell the difference between higher end tank setup vs lower end setup let alone stock $$$$ pricetag- just the aquarists LOL ?

I definitely miss oceanic’s thick glass panels. One of the best reliable tanks ever.
What is your view of the quality of the Marineland setups? Petsmart has one on sale now for 399.00. I am very leary of complaints about new tanks leaking within a year.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I had a marineland 60g I bought in 2011 and had it up until 2 years ago when I moved, sold it to a family member and they still have it up, no leaks. I just got a marineland 90 a couple months ago, hope it lasts like the 60, fingers crossed.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My LFS up here in Canuckistan sells glass tanks built by a local manufacturer; they list 70-gallon tanks, dimensions 48x18x18 inches, using 1/4-inch glass, for $199Canadian. I've actually bought a couple of these in the past few months; I can't begin to build them myself that inexpensively, and these are very nicely made, nicely finished plastic-framed tanks. I worked for a glass tank maker back when I was in school, a long time ago, and he was very picky and demanding regarding quality; he would have been completely satisfied to make and sell these tanks.

The LFS lists other sizes as well; a 50-gallon for $125, a 110-gallon 48x18x30x1/2 inch for $430, and many others all the way up to 450-gallons. Again, these prices are in Canadian dollars; frankly, the prices being quoted in this thread sound astonishingly high to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store