mn
Before the ban was lifted there was criteria for BDs

whiter than normal spots
blacker than normal leo
and belly spotting
Blue eyes
Stay smaller then normals
3 spots along the extierer

Now rays dont seem to be following these criteria. So i ask..... What IS a BD, i have read they come from a certain river that they are collected from but... how does the average hobbiest know what they are buying is really a BD. Vamptrev has a very very nice male leo that is a captive bred leo and just that, a leo. But IMHO looks nicer than some of the now labeled BDs.....

So what exactly is a BD? I also want to state lets keep this clean and informational only no bashing!

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
I wonder this somedays too. I thought I had it figured out once, but it seems to change daily.

I always thought it had to have 3 white spots near the eyes, then 2, then 1 spot as it got closer to the tail...in addition to the belly spotting and the rings of spots around the outside of the disk.

alanm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
UK
Good thread

ive tried this before on forums from europe

i agree that before the latest import of bds there were strong traits belonging to bds they were the best of the best the blackest of base colours and the whitest of spots ,the spots were large and many with a clear spotting around the outer of disc the rear paddles were spotted and lets not forget the belly spotting the all important trait which at first was the real difference between between a leo and a bd

in my opinion the actual disc is also thicker especially at the front in my collection i have also found that they are not as agressive as normal leos

for me a bd needs all the traits i have also owned several wild animals from sao felix from the latest imports all looked fantastic from above but on closer inspection many traits were missing

great topic lets hope it can be cleared up for good

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
turkeyboy85;4191751; said:
Before the ban was lifted there was criteria for BDs

whiter than normal spots
blacker than normal leo
and belly spotting
Blue eyes
Stay smaller then normals
3 spots along the extierer

Now rays dont seem to be following these criteria. So i ask..... What IS a BD, i have read they come from a certain river that they are collected from but... how does the average hobbiest know what they are buying is really a BD. Vamptrev has a very very nice male leo that is a captive bred leo and just that, a leo. But IMHO looks nicer than some of the now labeled BDs.....

So what exactly is a BD? I also want to state lets keep this clean and informational only no bashing!
i would go on your origanal tips for BD

the belly spotting is the key for me you can get some very nice looking leos but they dont have the belly spotting

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
T1KARMANN;4193586; said:
i would go on your origanal tips for BD

the belly spotting is the key for me you can get some very nice looking leos but they dont have the belly spotting
agreed! belly spotting for sure..
the term bd has been used by many to promote nice leo's.hardly of the bd quality though.anything to get more $$$.

this is my brothers male..

drumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2010
US
digginrays;4193904; said:
agreed! belly spotting for sure..
the term bd has been used by many to promote nice leo's.hardly of the bd quality though.anything to get more $$$.

this is my brothers male..
good god, that ray is smexy

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Thats stunning,im a noob at rays or will be at the weekend so totally confused about BD,first thing is,does it stand for black diamond or am i stupid,dont worry i wont take offence lol.

Steve

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
BD=BLACK DIAMOND=£1.5K+ :D

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
T1KARMANN;4197069; said:
BD=BLACK DIAMOND=£1.5K+ :D
Wow,best start saving lol
Are these expensive type rays widely available or are they rare like say a platinum red tail catfish or gar that are quite rare?

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store