What IS a BD?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
^^^^ I would concur, they are spectacular.^^^^ 500 for Leos in Europe. Man we are getting a reaming over here in the states.....

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
jeffers;4285701; said:
last i checked the euro was almost twice if not twice as much as the dollar.
wrong
500 euros currently equals to 655 canadian dollars

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
OK, here's my question. Do BD lose their spotting like a leo when they mature? Is this why they command a higher price?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
dookie;4380579; said:
OK, here's my question. Do BD lose their spotting like a leo when they mature? Is this why they command a higher price?
i never heard of a leo loosing spots...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
7 years later and we STILL don't know the difference between Leos and Black Diamonds......

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The fact is that black diamond and Leo's are the exact same species of stingray. Black diamond was once used to describe a ray from certain location that displayed different traits then a regular Leo as explained in post #1. This happens when you isolate a gene pool. Currently "black diamond" is no longer used to describe a ray from post #1. Now this would currently be considered a higher end black diamond ray. How many of the traits from the first post does it have? How many is it missing? Clearly the name "black diamond" has now been used to identify a Leo of higher quality or better said a ray that has black base with many big white spots. Mostly used as a marketing name. Since a lot of these "black diamonds" that are sold are hybrids with commonly henlei or pearl mixed in the gene pool at some point why is there still a debate on black diamond or Leo? Black diamonds are no longer even black diamonds therefore they are no longer even Leo's. So simply use the name to describe a ray that looks to be of high quality resembling what could be from species Leopoldo. It is that simple. So look at your ray. Look at a picture of a classic Leo. Now look back at your ray. Does your ray look like that picture? Yes? It's a Leo. Now look at your ray again. Now back at the picture. Does your ray look like that picture? Sorta? Call it a LeoxBD. Now look at your ray one last time then back at the picture. Does it look like the one in the photo was a Dalmatian that never developed all its spots? Then you may have What is currently called a "black diamond". Now when it comes to black diamond or Leo's I tend to be a purest so I disagree with the current naming schematic. However I am also an open minded individual and I can adapt to change. I had F1 true black diamonds 5 years ago yet if I was to sell them today people would say they are of low quality. How can a true black diamond be considered low quality? Clearly the naming schematic must have changed. Who knows in 3 years the name black diamond may go back to being associated with the original wild caught rays with the definitive traits. Yet again we will have to adapt for the change.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store