What is one of the best cichlid foods for color and growth

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The first one is hikari right? That's what I use and I get good results, I feed it along side bio gold to my cichlids.
I trust hikari products, I believe alot of people read into ingredients to much, what are the percentages of those ingredients, for all I know most of those are to help the pellet hold shape and preserve it, surely it's better than just a bio gold as many people feed?
I kind of agree with you but when I took all my fish off of hakari I noticed a lot less sh** in the tank. I didn't notice a difference in color but they were definitely producing less waste.

Reactions: ddot82

Walzon1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
The first one is hikari right? That's what I use and I get good results, I feed it along side bio gold to my cichlids.
I trust hikari products, I believe alot of people read into ingredients to much, what are the percentages of those ingredients, for all I know most of those are to help the pellet hold shape and preserve it, surely it's better than just a bio gold as many people feed?
Ingredients are listed in order by weight so taking the first listed as an example Fish meal is what is there is the most of by weight not bad for a fish pellet but why would it be first ingredient in an Algae wafer?The next 3 listed are usually binders to hold the pellet together that are in most foods but all three back to back leads me to think why so many many binders are necessary. Probably ingredients are being added for fillers instead of binders at the least it's really unnatural food for a fish. All 4 added by weight is a huge percentage of what is supposed to be Algae then to top it off the 5th ingredient is seaweed not algae WTF. Spirilina doesn't even make it till the last by weight most likely 1% of the algae wafer is Algae that's just ridiculous. As another posted more crap in the tank with no benefits to the fish. IMO people don't read into ingredients enough. Easiest way to tell a good Algae wafer is color Spirulina is extremely bright green Hikari wafers are Brown enough said.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
They are green lol.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Technically, spirulina is a cyanobacteria that resembles algae, while seaweeds are classified as marine algae that resemble plants.

Food discussions tend to be laden with personal opinion and personal experience, all of which differs by individual, as does actual knowledge of the subject. It's fine to trust something that's been working for you, but as I found out years ago, once you do get interested in learning something about fish nutrition and about the actual ingredients it can be enlightening.

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
i have switched to a variety of northfin pellets mainly krill, cichlid, and veggie. also cobalt cichlid color flakes. fish really enjoy.

Walzon1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
Technically, spirulina is a cyanobacteria that resembles algae, while seaweeds are classified as marine algae that resemble plants.

Food discussions tend to be laden with personal opinion and personal experience, all of which differs by individual, as does actual knowledge of the subject. It's fine to trust something that's been working for you, but as I found out years ago, once you do get interested in learning something about fish nutrition and about the actual ingredients it can be enlightening.
I think you missed my point bro. If I'm buying Mysis and the ingredients say ... 99 % Brine Shrimp 1% Mysis that's not cool Hey they are both crustaceans same diff. right? Maybe you might not care but I would. You should get what you pay for. I do my homework not so much for my fish but for my money If I'm buying algae wafers I expect Spirulina

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I think you missed my point bro. If I'm buying Mysis and the ingredients say ... 99 % Brine Shrimp 1% Mysis that's not cool Hey they are both crustaceans same diff. right? Maybe you might not care but I would. You should get what you pay for. I do my homework not so much for my fish but for my money If I'm buying algae wafers I expect Spirulina
If you read my posts you'd know my whole point is about knowing the ingredients, so obviously I do care, which is also why I cared enough to clarify that seaweed is an algae after you said it wasn't. As far as algae wafers requiring spirulina, there are other types of algae that might rightly and technically be included in "algae" wafers. There are also products that specifically include "spirulina" in the name. Algae wafers and spirulina wafers (or pellets) are not necessarily the same thing, though some "algae" foods may be rich in spirulina. So, yes, if you want spirulina you'd want to do your homework on whether spirulina is actually a key ingredient.

Otherwise, no, I didn't miss your point. Aside from those details, if you read my earlier post (#16) you'd have seen that we've essentially said the same thing, that a wafer where the only algae related ingredients come way down on an ingredients list and only after all sorts of other ingredients and fillers is not really an algae rich food, assuming that's what someone wants when they buy an algae wafer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store