What is something you wished someone told you when you got into fish keeping

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Yes, another good point. I forgot about that, thanks.
I think this is what happened to the other cl’s in bill and Irene tank before I got the last one.

I wish someone would have told me that you can get bulk and even diy filter media.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Many many many threads on this forum are about water quality. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, GH, KH, TDS etc etc etc. I wish someone would have told me to get a damn chemistry degree!

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
another thing that i wish someone told me to get ready for is multiple aquariums, even if I intended to have only one in the first place. between quarantining, medical treatements or simply separating two aggressive fish I now have 3 tanks of various sizes, a bucket and now working on a bigger outdoor tank to hold the arowana when he grows.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I wish I was told that we mostly keep water, fish keep themselves... and that I will have killed a lot of fish before I could keep one long term.

• Love
Reactions: RD. and Matteus

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I wish someone told me what stunting was, so then I could have saved my old goldfish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just thought that I would update the hot water tank info as I was just looking into replacing ours. It's a Kenmore Power Miser 8, and according to the serial # was manufactured in 1998, so I wasn't too far off on the age. This tank has never had any sediment drained off from the bottom, and according to the experts, with harder water coming out of our taps by rights the lifespan should have been decreased by at least 2 years due to the harder water. After reading up on the latest reviews on A.O. Smith & Rheem HW tanks, and on average only a 10 yr lifespan, I think that I may wait until this tank actually starts showing signs that it may be on its way out before I replace it. lol

I wish that someone would have told me that one day everything that you need to be a successful fish keeper, will be easily found on what will be later called the world-wide-web. :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Just thought that I would update the hot water tank info as I was just looking into replacing ours. It's a Kenmore Power Miser 8, and according to the serial # was manufactured in 1998, so I wasn't too far off on the age. This tank has never had any sediment drained off from the bottom, and according to the experts, with harder water coming out of our taps by rights the lifespan should have been decreased by at least 2 years due to the harder water. After reading up on the latest reviews on A.O. Smith & Rheem HW tanks, and on average only a 10 yr lifespan, I think that I may wait until this tank actually starts showing signs that it may be on its way out before I replace it. lol

I wish that someone would have told me that one day everything that you need to be a successful fish keeper, will be easily found on what will be later called the world-wide-web. :)
Electric or gas? I have a gas ao smith thats 22 years old still heats up very well. Constqnt looming cloud though since its well beyond its projected lifespan.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
ok new one. I wish someone told me fins don't grow uniformly. My aro's fin is growing the bony "fingers" first then the fin tissue starts to fill in between, giving a jagged edge view. made me paranoid thinking about fin rot....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store