What is the best fish or snail to breed for profit

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
I saw a video saying someone got 1000 dollars in one month by breeding mystery snails. Do you think they are the best to breed for profit

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Depends on market, what's available to you, and how patient/diligent you are. Also how much space you have.

You'd be better off doing market research and choosing a fish or snail that you like, and seeing if it has profitability instead of asking "what's the best for profit".

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Tilapia.

Blue Ridge Aquaculture brings in a reported $7.21Million per year.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I saw a video saying someone got 1000 dollars in one month by breeding mystery snails. Do you think they are the best to breed for profit
First thing to ask is how much time and effort you are willing to invest, and how sustainable do you want to be? You can make a few dollars selling off guppies, bristlenoses, etc. from a couple tanks you happen to have. But for the time and effort you'll likely to be better off getting a job at McDonalds.

You can make more if invest a few thousand in tanks, racks, a room . You're going to want to breed a selection of species, and you'll need to deal with shipping. Selling locally you can easily saturate the market before you make a profit.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
In AZ where I live I’d say Rift cichlids but I tried and it wasn’t worth it but I have friends that make good money doing it. I think I went about my marketing wrong

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Selling locally you can easily saturate the market before you make a profit.
Very true. I had a buddy with constant fry in the tanks and every fish store in the area with his fish. It was to the point even the fish stores were having problems selling off that many fish. The low point was when I saw the fish store running a $1.99 special on his fish... and these were F1 red devils from big lipped parents.

An interesting read: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/fish-for-profit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store