what is the most efficient and quietest sump filtration set up to run

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
In my opinion the quietest you can run is a double standing drain pipe. The first drain has a fine adjustment gate valve just before it enters the sump. The second pipe is slightly taller and is used as an emergency. If you add a slightly larger diameter pipe overtop of the primary drain it acts as a noise reducer as well. To make the system completely silent, begin with the gate vale slightly open and adjust it until the volume of the sump does not change. From there, make minuscule adjustments until the emergency drain does not drain any water or very little. To make these final adjustments turn the valve slightly and wait 10-15 minutes between adjustments.
What
In my opinion the quietest you can run is a double standing drain pipe. The first drain has a fine adjustment gate valve just before it enters the sump. The second pipe is slightly taller and is used as an emergency. If you add a slightly larger diameter pipe overtop of the primary drain it acts as a noise reducer as well. To make the system completely silent, begin with the gate vale slightly open and adjust it until the volume of the sump does not change. From there, make minuscule adjustments until the emergency drain does not drain any water or very little. To make these final adjustments turn the valve slightly and wait 10-15 minutes between adjustments.
Your description is the exact set up i currently have. I have an overflow box with a double standard drain pipe set up, one acts as the primary and the other the emergency (pic attached). Yet the trickling of the water is loud. Im pretty sure most of the noise is from the water going into the sump.

20190712_205826.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a friend, who (because of the splashing sound) put his sump in the basement (tank on floor above).
This eliminated the sound in the room, made water changes easier, and less messy, and helped maintain more stable temps in summer.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
What

Your description is the exact set up i currently have. I have an overflow box with a double standard drain pipe set up, one acts as the primary and the other the emergency (pic attached). Yet the trickling of the water is loud. Im pretty sure most of the noise is from the water going into the sump.

View attachment 1379711
The drains need a cup inverted over the top of each. Or a "U" fitting that points the openings down.

If you can keep the openings under water, and the drain ends in the sump under water, it should run pretty quiet.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What

View attachment 1379711
Submerge the pipes under water in the sump. The trickling sound is likely the emergency drain taking small amounts of water

Reactions: jaws7777

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That’s why the fine adjustment gate is useful. Small 1/8 turns should dial it in to the point where no water trickles down the emergency

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
That’s why the fine adjustment gate is useful. Small 1/8 turns should dial it in to the point where no water trickles down the emergency
Yeah i know what your saying, ive got a turnes
The drains need a cup inverted over the top of each. Or a "U" fitting that points the openings down.

If you can keep the openings under water, and the drain ends in the sump under water, it should run pretty quiet.
I did try and set up the main drain pipe with how you have described, however i found that the water would build up to a certain point and relaese a big gush of water and repeat and was really loud when releasing the gush if water, plus also felt it put a lot of stress on the pipe.

I currenrly have the drain pipes tuned so that the water sits above the main pipe so it doesn't gurgle, and have the water level siiting under the emergency pipe. The noise from the overflow box and drain pipes is queit, its the water releasing into the sump that is noisy.

My previous set up (180g) had a corner weir with a stockman pipe which worked great. The drain pipe running into the sump was fully submerged and this set up ran really quiet. Since upgrading i cant seem to get my 230g to run as queit.

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Yeah i know what your saying. I do have a valve gate on the main drain drain pipe and have it tuned so that the water sit above the main drain pipe so its not gurgling and sits just beneath the emergency drain pipe. What makes this set up noisy is the water exerting into the sump, not the drain pipes

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yeah i know what your saying. I do have a valve gate on the main drain drain pipe and have it tuned so that the water sit above the main drain pipe so its not gurgling and sits just beneath the emergency drain pipe. What makes this set up noisy is the water exerting into the sump, not the drain pipes
The gurgling is air being pulled down the primary drain. When that happens do a slight turn in the closed direction of the gate valve. There will be a sweet spot between gurgling and the emergency drain taking some water

Reactions: Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store