What is the rarest fish that you have,or have ever had.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
L185 is probably my rarest currently, which probably isn't too rare.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Things like brownie ghost / shy blue buce etc are still expensive though, especially if they've already been changed over to have submersed leaves fully developed...

In which case a plant thats say 15x10 cm can set you back upwards of USD $120 - $200 depending on seller...
Yikes. I remember some photos from Vietnam I think, or somewhere there where plants were crazy cheap

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ they come from borneo, so probably coming from there or neighboring countries...

But the reason why they sell them for so much here is mainly a) the rarity and b) coz they normally keep them for anywhere between 1-3 months to bring out all the emersed leaves before offering them for sale...

If you get non-coverted plants its usually a quater to half the price...

Reactions: Hendre

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Those are super rare. What I'd give for one... How is it with behaviour and food?
It is pretty peaceful and it stays near the other fish and tries to hide either underneath or behind them.Right now it only eats bloodworms and small bits of freeze dried krill.

Reactions: Hendre

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
My rarest I guess would be my slobbering catfish. Brachyplatystoma platynemum I actually just sold it about a month ago.

"This fish is classified as ''Endangered'' and the capture of specimens smaller than 62 cm is illegal. This means that the small specimens imported for the aquarium trade are illegally acquired. " - https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=679

I'm not sure what the largest fish wholesaler in the US was doing with a group of them but I got it pretty cheap.

I didn’t know they were but the place where I got my platysilurus mucosus from had 5 of them and I almost picked one up. Only reason I didn’t was the shipment just came in. Now I should’ve gotten one

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It is pretty peaceful and it stays near the other fish and tries to hide either underneath or behind them.Right now it only eats bloodworms and small bits of freeze dried krill.
I'd love to keep some in a large Africa tank one day. Get a bit bigger than X nigri and look pretty badass

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'd love to keep some in a large Africa tank one day. Get a bit bigger than X nigri and look pretty badass
Agreed,hopefully they become more available in the future.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Not sure apurensis cat maybe, dwarf giraffe cats, l001 plec...
None particularly rare really.
Nice knife rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store