What kind of Catfish for 240 gallons?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I was lurking around and had a thought pop into my head. Is there a catfish species that would fit in a 240 gallon for life, not grow over 24" but still reach a good size like maybe 20" or so and can hopefully be solitary or at least can be kept alone? I don't know that much about catfish so I figured i'd ask here. I do know Redtails can eventually get to the point where they need a pond so that's out. But I love the look of the head on a redtail catfish.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There are a few. What are the potential tankmates?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
There are a few. What are the potential tankmates?
Looking more for the Catfish as the primary. If tank mates are required I can provide them but it doesn't matter what I guess. What are the options though?

As well, if it can go solitary that would be cool too. And have one monster catfish. Not too big as to outgrow a 240 as described above. And if it has the head like the redtail, that would be a bonus.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking more for the Catfish as the primary. If tank mates are required I can provide them but it doesn't matter what I guess. What are the options though?

As well, if it can go solitary that would be cool too. And have one monster catfish. Not too big as to outgrow a 240 as described above. And if it has the head like the redtail, that would be a bonus.
Ok. I’d suggest a vulture catfish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Cephalosilurus apurensis and other similar Pseudopimelodidae family members.

Bolt catfish.

Bullhead catfish.

Sun catfish.

Aluminum and other Chrysichthys catfish.

Maybe catfish of the Pimelodus genus and some from the related Heptapteridae family, like Rhamdia quelen.

In every catfish family pretty much there are catfish that suit your size requirements and the field is too wide to work with as presently presented.

You can sort the Cat-eLog on Planet Catfish by size and study the hits.

Once you arrive at a list, we could go over it because the max size of fish is not the only consideration for humane keeping. For instance, swimming habits and temperament matter too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store