What kind of Peacock's are these?

why_spyder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Sioux City, IA
www.cynotilapia.info
I hate OB peacocks - then again - I hate hybrids of all kinds. Peacocks are a great fish - but have a few drawbacks compared to mbuna.

Peacocks take longer to develop color and grow. They don't change color too much (some do though). And females are pretty much just a silver fish.

On the flipside - Male peacocks make a great show tank - whereas an all male mbuna tank could get ugly (some don't have problems).

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
As everyone else pointed out there basically hybrids. Male and Female peacocks can both look good, although females are still more dull most of the time. But you have to know where to go. Online breeders and fishiries (if you can find one to sell to a single person) are great places to find nice ones. I happen to be lucky to have a local person who has nice peacocks. I have some pictures of mine if you go into my gallery (you can find it on the left under my avatar) check them out. Its the first album on the top left.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
santoury;917394; said:
Hybrids with mbuna?????? Is this true? They don't look it. I thought they were simply a peacock hybrid.
Indeed. There are no naturally occuring OB Aulonocara sp. The OB gene was introduced through a cross with an OB mbuna sp.. The OB zebra is suspected to have been used in the original crossings but OB fuelleborni or OB trewavasae which are also common could have been used).

why_spyder;918225; said:
O/OB males are called Marmalade Cats - and in most species - they are more rare.
Only in the lake proper. In the hobby most species in which OB males can turn up they're pretty common. :)

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
I was fortunate enough to see a group of wild M. fainzilberi, all of the females were OB but to my delight and surprise several of the males were OB as well. Unfortunately the entire group had been reserved for one greedy person!
Kinda gave me hope. :(

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Yeah, I figured all (or most) female fainz might be OB since I've never seen one who wasn't, and I've searched. One of the reasons why I really like the species. Beautiful males, cute females! :D

JESTERX626

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2005
Can anyone show me pix of male and female peacock cichlids? I saw only 1 at the fish store, I just want to see if it could possibly be female with pretty colors, or if it's indeed a male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store