What kind of predator for a 7" tank?

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
I'm in the market for a large predator, but need opinions on what to get. The purpose of this fish will be to cull, and ideally it would be able to quickly eat a 4-5" CA cichlid when full grown. I am moving in a 230ish gallon tank for this fish, 7'x2' footprint by 3' tall. The obvious choice would be a RTC, I've worked with them in the past in this context and they seem like the best, since they don't get injured by the spines and eat pretty much everything. But the maximum size being 5 feet might be a problem. Any suggestions? A smaller species of catfish with a similar mouth and appetite may be ideal, but I'm open to all suggestions (hence this being in the general section). Thanks in advance.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I'm in the market for a large predator, but need opinions on what to get. The purpose of this fish will be to cull, and ideally it would be able to quickly eat a 4-5" CA cichlid when full grown. I am moving in a 230ish gallon tank for this fish, 7'x2' footprint by 3' tall. The obvious choice would be a RTC, I've worked with them in the past in this context and they seem like the best, since they don't get injured by the spines and eat pretty much everything. But the maximum size being 5 feet might be a problem. Any suggestions? A smaller species of catfish with a similar mouth and appetite may be ideal, but I'm open to all suggestions (hence this being in the general section). Thanks in advance.
So you want to kill the fish later on but want it big enough to eat a 4-5" cichlid? Why would you want to cull a healthy fish?

I would say alligator gar

Reactions: Frank Castle

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'm confused. You want to raise a fish to kill it?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
So you want to kill the fish later on but want it big enough to eat a 4-5" cichlid? Why would you want to cull a healthy fish?

I would say alligator gar
I think he means whatever fish he gets is what the culls, the 4-5" cichlids, would be fed to.

I would not recommend a gator gar. Going to outgrow that tank in a relatively short amount of time.

Reactions: convict360

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I think he means whatever fish he gets is what the culls, the 4-5" cichlids, would be fed to.

I would not recommend a gator gar. Going to outgrow that tank in a relatively short amount of time.
No read it again. He wants to cull the big large predator and he needs it to eat big cichlids...

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If your a fan of RTCs I would probably try one of the smaller growing pims. Possibly an achara, tig, juruense, etc. Just keep in mind the overall size they can grow to, and be prepared to upgrade or rehome them when it comes time.

These are generally still worth something even at a larger size, unlike a rtc.

Reactions: Frank Castle

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
He wants a fish that can eat multiple 4-5" cichlids at a time it sounds like.

I am also wondering why they have to be that big before culling.

Are you sexing them first?

Gulped maybe?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Garbage disposal works wonders for disposing fish. And you leave the 7'er clear for something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store