What light for planted 180?

Jackthe6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
What plants are you going to be adding?
I apologize in advance cause it’s a pretty long list. I haven’t 100% decided Which will go in the 180 and which will go in other tanks with better lights. But all tanks are low tech.

jungle val
aponogeton
crypt spiralis
trident fern
dwarf sag
anubias nana petite
eichhornia diversifolia
limnophila heterophylla
blyxa japonica
ludwigia mini super red
myriophyllum aquaticum
persicaria kawagoenaeum
cryptocoryne balansae
bucephalandra
Amazon sword
limnophila rugosa
Water sprite
bacopa-caroliniana
Banana plant
Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
i have some diy led strips on the tank now and just reading and talking to different groups a lot of people say the lights most likely aren’t good for plants so was trying to maybe upgrade. Don’t want to buy the light lol. But also don’t wanna buy plants and then they just die
Not sure about bled strips but leds should work. Especially if it’s low tech where the demand for lighting isn’t high.

Jackthe6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
I have been going through the list and a few have been removed due to me feeling like they wouldn’t do well in my tanks but didn’t remove them from the list but feel free to point out any other you feel also wouldn’t be a good fit.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I apologize in advance cause it’s a pretty long list. I haven’t 100% decided Which will go in the 180 and which will go in other tanks with better lights. But all tanks are low tech.

jungle val
aponogeton
crypt spiralis
trident fern
dwarf sag
anubias nana petite
eichhornia diversifolia
limnophila heterophylla
blyxa japonica
ludwigia mini super red
myriophyllum aquaticum
persicaria kawagoenaeum
cryptocoryne balansae
bucephalandra
Amazon sword
limnophila rugosa
Water sprite
bacopa-caroliniana
Banana plant
Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus
I’ve noticed that ludwigia if kept under too low light, or something covering the light up, the bottom leafs will start to die but new leafs will show.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm glad you've started this thread.

I have a low tech planted 180, it's that low tech i'm lighting it with a flourescent still! Lol. I'm finding that only my jungle val and amazon swords will thrive in these conditions, anything else just withers in time. I'm building a new canopy over the next couple of months and i'm going to upgrade my lights to leds and I was wondering which lights would be good to give good coverage at 24" depth for the whole of the 6x2 footprint.

What i've noticed is that all these led light fittings tend to come in a max length of about 48". I'm sure the OP won't mind me butting in with a question if it benefits us both, but if you have plants at either end of your 72" tank, and you only have the 48" light fitting, will the light penetration still be suitable for these plants at the ends?

Jackthe6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
I'm glad you've started this thread.

I have a low tech planted 180, it's that low tech i'm lighting it with a flourescent still! Lol. I'm finding that only my jungle val and amazon swords will thrive in these conditions, anything else just withers in time. I'm building a new canopy over the next couple of months and i'm going to upgrade my lights to leds and I was wondering which lights would be good to give good coverage at 24" depth for the whole of the 6x2 footprint.

What i've noticed is that all these led light fittings tend to come in a max length of about 48". I'm sure the OP won't mind me butting in with a question if it benefits us both, but if you have plants at either end of your 72" tank, and you only have the 48" light fitting, will the light penetration still be suitable for these plants at the ends?
I don’t mind at all. But I don’t think it would be good light coverage. I did notice most lights were 48 or 36. I decided I would just do two 36 inch light

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Buy yourself 2 of these if you want to grow plants with higher light demands.. stuff like anubias you can plant under larger plants or in shaded areas if you like

I have the one on my 210 but buying another to daisy chain so I can start growing the whole tank... thought just the middle of the tank would look nice but I am leaning towards a more over grown look throughout the whole aquarium now... not a low profile fancy looking light but I dont mind either... and my wallet doesnt mind that these lights are only 130 bucks a pop.. been running it for over a year now no complaints

20200614_141733.jpg

Reactions: esoxlucius

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
I have a Finnex Planted Plus on my 30 Gallon. It is really good, but comes at a premium cost. I am in the process of setting up a 180 for plants and rainbow fish, except I will be using CO2. One option you have given it is a 6' tank is to use a couple of 36" lights.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Buy yourself 2 of these if you want to grow plants with higher light demands.. stuff like anubias you can plant under larger plants or in shaded areas if you like

I have the one on my 210 but buying another to daisy chain so I can start growing the whole tank... thought just the middle of the tank would look nice but I am leaning towards a more over grown look throughout the whole aquarium now... not a low profile fancy looking light but I dont mind either... and my wallet doesnt mind that these lights are only 130 bucks a pop.. been running it for over a year now no complaints

View attachment 1421797
Those plants look to be thriving. It's like an oasis of greenery right under your light. Is that growth all down to your lights, or do you run CO2 as well? And do you dose with regular liquid and substrate ferts additions?

By the way, awesome pic on the wall.

Reactions: Nilsafeller
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store