What Piranha do I have?!??

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, hes eating 3 cocktail shrimp a day or equivalent slice of tilapia. Hes very shy though. Hides in the back corner behind some plants. I keep it dim and quiet. This is my first piranha. So, doing my best. I read they get less shy as they grow. Is that true?
Makes sense with what I have heard about Piranha in general

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Great appetite :) Yes, but they will always have some skitted trait to some degree. I'd say once your Piraya reaches 9" it won't hide/dart much at all. Needs to get used to it's surroundings. Each fish has their own temperament and personality, of course.
My Rhom is ~7.25", thinks he's a badass most of the time trying to chase me and my wife away from his tank, but when we're wearing dark gray/black clothes, he acts like he just saw the boogieman:eek: releases a little ammonia wetting his pants, and darts around like crazy.

Reactions: Hendre

Brian Wojtalewicz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
That makes some sense. Im a very big guy and always wear dark clothing. Hes a little over 4" right now. Thanks everyone, for all the info!

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
Piraya grows very fast so he won't be 4" for long if you keep up with the water quality and proper feeding

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
I ordered a lot from Aquascape and never had any problems even the one time one of my fish arrived dead even without proof Pedro sent me another free just my 2 cents

bignootch

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
At The Antipodes
Hello there. If you want to get it to gain some confidence about swimming around the tank and if $$ is an issue buying more piraya, I'd suggest buying 3 or 4 red belly piranhas of similar size to raise with it... They really do thrive best when kept in group company. Hope it works out for you & the fishy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store