What should I do to my fishes on my trip

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Filter is a super massive sponge filter at top of aquarium not in water and there is a power head and spounge filter
I only run the big filter and I see crystal clear water
Should I turn on both filters while I’m out?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I feed 1 time a day

That's good to know. I personally would feed the Oscars 5 times a week at that size. I feed my mature fish every other day. I've learned that feeding mature fish daily isn't necessary it's actually healthier for them.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree 4 or 5 days feeding would be more than enough and would cut back on the nitrates. The lighting advice is good; if you leave lights on 24/7 even on low you will get algae and will not be natural, better to have tank dark and just get some light from windows or room.
Maybe you can leave a couple gallons of water next to the tank and tell him once a week to pour one in. If evaporation is a concern.
4 oscars in a 100 gallon is a lot but they are still small so you may be OK. Best of luck

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
I agree 4 or 5 days feeding would be more than enough and would cut back on the nitrates. The lighting advice is good; if you leave lights on 24/7 even on low you will get algae and will not be natural, better to have tank dark and just get some light from windows or room.
Maybe you can leave a couple gallons of water next to the tank and tell him once a week to pour one in. If evaporation is a concern.
4 oscars in a 100 gallon is a lot but they are still small so you may be OK. Best of luck
Thank u all for help I will consider the points

Reactions: tlindsey

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Should I cut down feeding to 4 times a week
Yes. Definitely cut down feeding. I would say to two or three times a week even. They will be fine. I left my Oscar once for three weeks without feeding him at all and he was fine. They will produce less waste and they won’t starve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store