What should i get?

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
I have an empty 55 (I think it's 55 anyway) gallon tank its 4 foot long, 21 inches tall, but only 12 inches wide . I'm assuming 12 inches wide is probably too tight for any piranhas, but I don't really know. If I can't do piranha I'll be looking into mabye some type of african cichlids, my only issue with them tho is that all the ones I've seen always hang near the bottom of the tank and that seems like a bit of a waste of space in such a tall tank if they're all gonna hang out near the bottom all the time. If I can't have piranhas I want a more filled out tank with lots of colorful and decent sized, active fish. Any suggestions?

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
I'm not real concerned with water parameters for whatever fish I go with, I naturally have soft, almost neutral ph water but I can change that accordingly for the right fish or group. Decor will be mostly rocks and possibly some plants with a Sandy substrate

Reactions: esoxlucius

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Getting all scientific in here lol. I had to look up the common names. The wimples are cool, but from what I understand they become more solitary as they mature and can't stay in groups for long, they might not be the right fish for me, but not completely out of the question. I'd love to here more about people's experience with them and if anyone's ever had success keeping one or two of them with any other species.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
As for the bucktooth tetra (exodons) cool behavior. I don't like the looks of them much though to be honest

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I have an empty 55 (I think it's 55 anyway) gallon tank its 4 foot long, 21 inches tall, but only 12 inches wide . I'm assuming 12 inches wide is probably too tight for any piranhas, but I don't really know. If I can't do piranha I'll be looking into mabye some type of african cichlids, my only issue with them tho is that all the ones I've seen always hang near the bottom of the tank and that seems like a bit of a waste of space in such a tall tank if they're all gonna hang out near the bottom all the time. If I can't have piranhas I want a more filled out tank with lots of colorful and decent sized, active fish. Any suggestions?
Africans are everywhere in the tank wondering where you c them more at the bottom.
Piranhas get too big for a 55.
I recommend exodons they eat more aggressive than piranhas but don't get that big.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Lake Victorian cichlids are very active swimmers. I find mine occupy mid to low levels in the tank. Plus can be fairly colorful.

798001E1-3FA2-4D0F-89C7-A6915518D124.jpeg

Reactions: Icky sticky
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store