What type of severum is this?

jnms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
London
Hi, I am new here - looks like a great forum! Hoping you guys can help me out with this question. I recently purchased a pair of severum, the LFS displayed them a 'Green Severum'...however I am pretty sure that is not the case. Though I really am not sure what they actually are. Here is a photo:

jnms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
London
Just one other point. The severum had been in the LFS for just over 1 month in a very small tank...so much of the paleness is due to stress. They are starting to color-up a little now, though not enough yet for me to see what they actually are.

sunshinehippy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
London
Notatus I think

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
It's not a Notatus. It's some sort of efasciatus. Every collection location is a little different so it is impossible to say for sure without that info. If I had to guess, it looks very similiar to some wild sevs from the tapajos region that I have seen before so it could be from there or somewhere close by.

It doesn't look stressed at all to me. That is it's normal color.

jnms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
London
Ah ok - that would explain things then. Guess I was totally mis-sold these severum then.

sunshinehippy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
London
I stand corrected, jgentry is right, efasciatus seems more like it.

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
This is the problem I have with generalized common names. Very few true Heros severus are in the hobby, it is a rare mouth brooding species, there are lots of undiscribed Heros species imported and everyone calls them the generic name "severum", It is a HEROS species, looks like a wild caught Brazilian species, most likley undiscribed, I'd rather have it than the hybridized regular green "severum" of the trade. Ken

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
jgentry;3628491; said:
It's not a Notatus. It's some sort of efasciatus. Every collection location is a little different so it is impossible to say for sure without that info. If I had to guess, it looks very similiar to some wild sevs from the tapajos region that I have seen before so it could be from there or somewhere close by.

It doesn't look stressed at all to me. That is it's normal color.
I agree with everything above.

jnms;3628503; said:
Ah ok - that would explain things then. Guess I was totally mis-sold these severum then.
See fishfarms post. The common "Severum" in the hobby, worldwide, are Heros sp. - perhaps efasciatus, but they're a bit of a mish-mash of location variants and possibly (probably) species. You weren't mis-sold anything :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store