What Would You Guys Like To See For Sale?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Hey guys! Over the past few months I've considered starting up my "fish shop" business. Recently I've begun taking the plunge. Getting my permits, licenses, connecting with importers/wholesalers, etc. I began wanting to jump in when I saw there were so many vendors who would exaggerate their stock/blatantly lie about the ID's, or think that just because they got something truly unique they could jack the price up. Or even worse, buy cheap fish and sell them cheap for a fast turnover of low quality, "white elephant" fish. My business plan is to focus on honest identifications and fair prices for the quality. I believe that a lot of vendors have forgotten that true hobbyists are okay with paying a bit more for fish that will leave them satisfied beyond what they see when they first open the bag. I also believe a lot of vendors have forgotten most of the community are not idiots, and can tell when they're being jerked around. Having a deep love for Cichla has been one of the most thrilling hobbies I've ever had and, also, one of the most eye opening experiences to the amount of inaccuracy a lot of shops pump into this community. Following in the steps of some of the OG vendors (like Wes), I hope to add one more store for you all to purchase from with no doubt of what you're getting. I also won't be doing this as my main source of income, allowing me to keep prices less inflated. This is just as much an addition to my love for the hobby as it is a side job. (*Disclaimer* I can only keep prices so low, wholesale and importation prices do play a major role)

Now, I want to hear from all of you. What do you want to see more of in shops? Even better, if you'd indulge me, explain why! Too much variation in quality? Never stick around in stock long enough? Price abuse by vendors? Feel free to share any thoughts or things you'd like to see in the future. Can be broad or specific!

My only request right now is keep it within fish that're reasonably attainable. It'll take a while before I'm making enough to go wading through the amazon looking for some undocumented pleco or you see me smuggling some C. Cataractae into the US in water bottles... :lol2:

Some examples of what I can readily get currently are: Zebrina Pikes, Datnoids (mainly smaller ones), Black/Albino Arowanas, Multiple kinds of Cichla, Umbee Cichlids and other more uncommon cichlids, Vittatus/Goliath/Forskahlii Tiger Fish, Clown Loaches, multiple Polypterus, Knife Fish, all the Barbs and Tetras under the sun, Brachyplatystoma, Lince Catfish, Pimelod Catfish, Fire Eels of varying sizes, Gymothorax P., Fahaka/MBU puffers, Lungfish, African Cichlids, multiple Plecos, and much more that will only broaden with time. So let me know, I anxiously look forward to hearing from you all.

Just keep in mind, I do live in California so I will not be bringing in fish that could not be legally kept here. Any attempts to have me bring in something illegal will be ignored.

If you have anything you'd like to message me about to look for specifically, feel free! I will keep the forums updated as I move forward.

For those of you in Norcal/Central California who need help aquascaping, I can get supplies in bulk. Ex: Dragon stone @ $1.50~ a lb

Thanks guys, much love.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys! Over the past few months I've considered starting up my "fish shop" business. Recently I've begun taking the plunge. Getting my permits, licenses, connecting with importers/wholesalers, etc. I began wanting to jump in when I saw there were so many vendors who would exaggerate their stock/blatantly lie about the ID's, or think that just because they got something truly unique they could jack the price up. Or even worse, buy cheap fish and sell them cheap for a fast turnover of low quality, "white elephant" fish. My business plan is to focus on honest identifications and fair prices for the quality. I believe that a lot of vendors have forgotten that true hobbyists are okay with paying a bit more for fish that will leave them satisfied beyond what they see when they first open the bag. I also believe a lot of vendors have forgotten most of the community are not idiots, and can tell when they're being jerked around. Having a deep love for Cichla has been one of the most thrilling hobbies I've ever had and, also, one of the most eye opening experiences to the amount of inaccuracy a lot of shops pump into this community. Following in the steps of some of the OG vendors (like Wes), I hope to add one more store for you all to purchase from with no doubt of what you're getting. I also won't be doing this as my main source of income, allowing me to keep prices less inflated. This is just as much an addition to my love for the hobby as it is a side job. (*Disclaimer* I can only keep prices so low, wholesale and importation prices do play a major role)

Now, I want to hear from all of you. What do you want to see more of in shops? Even better, if you'd indulge me, explain why! Too much variation in quality? Never stick around in stock long enough? Price abuse by vendors? Feel free to share any thoughts or things you'd like to see in the future. Can be broad or specific!

My only request right now is keep it within fish that're reasonably attainable. It'll take a while before I'm making enough to go wading through the amazon looking for some undocumented pleco or you see me smuggling some C. Cataractae into the US in water bottles... :lol2:

Some examples of what I can readily get currently are: Zebrina Pikes, Datnoids (mainly smaller ones), Black/Albino Arowanas, Multiple kinds of Cichla, Umbee Cichlids and other more uncommon cichlids, Vittatus/Goliath/Forskahlii Tiger Fish, Clown Loaches, multiple Polypterus, Knife Fish, all the Barbs and Tetras under the sun, Brachyplatystoma, Lince Catfish, Pimelod Catfish, Fire Eels of varying sizes, Gymothorax P., Fahaka/MBU puffers, Lungfish, African Cichlids, multiple Plecos, and much more that will only broaden with time. So let me know, I anxiously look forward to hearing from you all.

Just keep in mind, I do live in California so I will not be bringing in fish that could not be legally kept here. Any attempts to have me bring in something illegal will be ignored.

If you have anything you'd like to message me about to look for specifically, feel free! I will keep the forums updated as I move forward.

For those of you in Norcal/Central California who need help aquascaping, I can get supplies in bulk. Ex: Dragon stone @ $1.50~ a lb

Thanks guys, much love.
Great to hear that your owning a pet shop. I suggest you still stock with some as we called them years ago Bread and Butter species for slow times.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Great to hear that your owning a pet shop. I suggest you still stock with some as we called them years ago Bread and Butter species for slow times.
Thats the plan. Im just using the spare room in my home for it. I'll have plenty of the standard, but of the best quality I can find. I just want to know what you guys would like on top of that!

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Very cool Sir. I think you will do well with this, you have a great idea by keeping it all legit and accountable.

I look forward to seeing this progress for you.
Considering you gave me the push for this you''ll definitely be in the know haha. If not working together in the future

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’m breeding catfish I might be able to supply you once I have a solid amount.
Always open to options, contact me as time grows nearer

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I have to wait till I find good priced BN plecos. They’re so expensive

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com