What's a good budget friendly HOB filter that will fit in a 125?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
If you wanted to upgrade to a canister, the sun sun 304b is under $100 on Amazon
I actually have two extra canister filters but I can't use them because this tank is on the floor. I already have two HOB's. How about this filter...
Marineland Penguin Power Filter, 50 to 70-Gallon, 350 GPH

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I find Penguin 350 best for price and performance. I run 3 Penguin 350 in my heavily stocked 125 . They are quiet, slim and easy to clean. If you have light stock, 2 is enough. The price is half of AC110 without AC o- ring vulnerability of leak or overflow. You can buy their refillable basket to cut your own filter pads to save money.

D7FC3C6E-C2DD-425E-8D6C-7FFB7B4E2C55.jpeg

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
I'll second the penguin 350 2-4 of them should put a dent in it.

The emperor 400s would be nice, but half of the ones I have bought have been defective.

The aquaclears are fine, but keeping an impeller shaft in them for a reasonable amount of time is impossible unless you make your own.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im not familiar with any of these overflow or impeller issues of the ac that are mentioned...if you don't maintain any hob filter properly the impeller will become gummed up.

Not trying to step on toes here but the marineland hobs are for amateur fishkeepers/obsolete. They are purely a mechanical filter and they are not a great one at that. No capacity for bio-media at all and they continuously become clogged up....in fact the only hob i ever had that overflowed was an emperor.

Putting a bunch of small power filters with next to no media capacity on a 125 thats at least moderately stocked is pissing in the wind. Go with a big can or a couple ac110s. Id go with air powered sponges before lining up 4 small hobs...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Im not familiar with any of these overflow or impeller issues of the ac that are mentioned...if you don't maintain any hob filter properly the impeller will become gummed up.

Not trying to step on toes here but the marineland hobs are for amateur fishkeepers/obsolete. They are purely a mechanical filter and they are not a great one at that. No capacity for bio-media at all and they continuously become clogged up....in fact the only hob i ever had that overflowed was an emperor.

Putting a bunch of small power filters with next to no media capacity on a 125 thats at least moderately stocked is pissing in the wind. Go with a big can or a couple ac110s. Id go with air powered sponges before lining up 4 small hobs...
+1

I have zero issues with AC 110's, still running several old school AC 500"s. No impeller issues unless one runs fine sand, and never had an o-ring fail, EVER.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store