What's a good guard dog?

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
I came home today and found out that my apt got broken into. Thank God no one was was hurt, as my preg. wife must have left the apt less than an a hour before some ass#%^* decided to break in. I asked my wife if she wanted me to purchase a gun or a dog and she opted for the dog. My question is what's a good family dog that's still a good protector? I have two kids and a baby on the way, so the dog would have to be kid friendly. My wife doesn't want a pit, or rotty. How would a lab or German Shepard do? Also my kids have a rabbit, are there an dogs that wouldn't kill their rabbit?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to hear but glad no one was hurt and I'm guessing you have checked and are allowed to have such a dog in your apartment so I'd say look into a German Shepherd.I'm a pit bull guy myself lol.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Yea my wife wanted a lab but I'm like every lab I know is way too ppl friendly. I've seen so e ppl w/ German shepards so I guess that's gonna be our dog since she's afraid of pits and rottys.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Get something in the mastif family they are gentle giants but extremely intimidating and actually do well in apartments they are extremely lazy lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was going to mention looking into a mastiff but figured his wife wouldn't approve due to their looks...I'd like to get a Bordeaux but have not seen any around for a few years.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Any dog breed will do, a bigger breed is going to obviously be tougher but typically smaller dogs are more yippy and will discourage someone. You should really look into a American pit bull, they are actually very loving loyal dogs, I've seen meaner German Shepard dogs (not in a good way). Other then a those, great dane, mastiff, and believe it or not golden retriever, I'm pretty sure mine would take a bullet for me.. needless to say any dog with proper training can fulfill this roll effectively. The important thing is to pay and get a decent amount of training. All dogs will bark naturally but if someone breaks in your house and is confronting you with a gun is where the test is.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
what size apt and yard are we talking about?

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Airedale make great watchdogs/guard dog. But like the German Shepard they will need a lot of exercise. I also prefer the pit bull, they don't call them nanny dogs for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store