What's a solid heater for a 125 gallon?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I run the inkbirds on all my tanks. Have not had an issue with a heater since (also may be coincidence that I also switched to jager heaters at the same time). In my experience with heaters its always been the thermostat that went and they would end up cooking the tank. I've never had a heater that failed to turn on. I'm sure it happens, I've just never seen it. My current heaters have been in use for almost 2 years, so we'll see how long it lasts.
Jagar is a good brand. Too bad my LFS hardly had any heater choices.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I run the inkbirds on all my tanks. Have not had an issue with a heater since (also may be coincidence that I also switched to jager heaters at the same time). In my experience with heaters its always been the thermostat that went and they would end up cooking the tank. I've never had a heater that failed to turn on. I'm sure it happens, I've just never seen it. My current heaters have been in use for almost 2 years, so we'll see how long it lasts.
This is how I learned too. I always had a controller on my 220, but I used to keep my 29 and my son’s 10 without a controller. One morning I woke up to a bad smell and found the 75 W heater in my son’s 10 gal glofish tank was stuck on and the water was over 102. Of course, all of the fish were gone and there was 12-15 glofish tetras and a clown pleco so near $150 worth of fish. I ordered two more Inkbird controllers that day and have had one on every tank since.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I would only use a digital controlled heater. I use the AquaTop titanium.

Hari Haran

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
I didn't go with aqueon pro as there is lots of them blowing up, check amazon reviews, ehiem is atleast shatterproof, so any heat issues the external controller should take care of it.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I didn't go with aqueon pro as there is lots of them blowing up, check amazon reviews, ehiem is atleast shatterproof, so any heat issues the external controller should take care of it.
I ended up buying the ehiem 300 watts again but this time from Amazon. The price is right but this is the final shot they get from me. Also, bought a inkbird controller.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Jagers lately are poorly calibrated. They will take you 2-3 degrees hotter than the setting. I’ve been using them so long I got stubborn and just learnt what the numbers ‘really’ meant. This has been the case 2 times over 2 recent purchases. Amazon reviews are saying similar

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Jagers lately are poorly calibrated. They will take you 2-3 degrees hotter than the setting. I’ve been using them so long I got stubborn and just learnt what the numbers ‘really’ meant. This has been the case 2 times over 2 recent purchases. Amazon reviews are saying similar
The Eheim I bought doesn't appear to be working ha. I'm having a nightmare with heaters!

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
The newer Eheim heaters aren't what they used to be. I had one for over ten years and it worked very well until it finally decided to quit. I replaced it with one of the newer ones and it never worked right from the time I got. I couldn't get the temperature below 85 degrees in one of my 90's with it set as low as 68 degrees. I brought it back to my LFS and they exchanged it out for me and that one wouldn't go above 72 degrees with the temp dial turned all the way up. I wound up buying a couple of cheap Chinese heaters called Aquaneat off of ebay and they've worked great for over a year now. They are surprisingly accurate, plus they are shatter proof.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
The newer Eheim heaters aren't what they used to be. I had one for over ten years and it worked very well until it finally decided to quit. I replaced it with one of the newer ones and it never worked right from the time I got. I couldn't get the temperature below 85 degrees in one of my 90's with it set as low as 68 degrees. I brought it back to my LFS and they exchanged it out for me and that one wouldn't go above 72 degrees with the temp dial turned all the way up. I wound up buying a couple of cheap Chinese heaters called Aquaneat off of ebay and they've worked great for over a year now. They are surprisingly accurate, plus they are shatter proof.
Nice I'll check out those heaters but for now found a brand called Viaqua recommended on here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store