What's a solid heater for a 125 gallon?

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I bought a 300 watt Eheim heater which took a crap so prefer to steer away from this brand.

I went to exchange it at PetSmart and they don't carry that wattage anymore so then I went to a local lfs and some of the heater prices were ridiculous close to 90 bucks.

The Eheim was 40 bucks and I don't need anything fancy just something that works.
I am really happy with my hydro inline heaters the 300 is great.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find large wattage heaters (like 300s) are problematic (all heaters crap out, I've had them all over 50-60 years of fish keeping Jagers, Eheiims , Hydors, titaniums) and for me, at least 50% of the time the thermostats crap out in the "On"' position, and cook the tank.
So I prefer and always use 2 or 3 smaller wattage heaters per tank, in that way, if one stays in the "On" position, the thermostats on the others turn off, and the smaller wattage ones can't cook a tank in the 125 gallon range.
And for many tropical fish, room temp is just fine (maybe better). When I lived in Wisconsin I unplugged most if mine, May thru September.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I find large wattage heaters (like 300s) are problematic (all heaters crap out, I've had them all over 50-60 years of fish keeping Jagers, Eheiims , Hydors, titaniums) and for me, at least 50% of the time the thermostats crap out in the "On"' position, and cook the tank.
So I prefer and always use 2 or 3 smaller wattage heaters per tank, in that way, if one stays in the "On" position, the thermostats on the others turn off, and the smaller wattage ones can't cook a tank in the 125 gallon range.
And for many tropical fish, room temp is just fine (maybe better). When I lived in Wisconsin I unplugged most if mine, May thru September.
Good point. I always use multiple in the high watt range but will modify new setups in the smaller ranges and diversify the wattage. With all your experience what heater has been the most reliable?

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Good point. I always use multiple in the high watt range but will modify new setups in the smaller ranges and diversify the wattage. With all your experience what heater has been the most reliable?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They are all subject to the harsh conditions, and elements in aquariums, but due to the economics, I have never found one better than another. If I get a slight shock putting my hands in a tank, I always suspect the heater before anything else, although it may not be.
I had a Hydor melt PVC into an arc when it stuck on, I've had titaniums, die after 2 months, same with all the other brands, so to me the economics of needing to be cheap enough to sell to wide market is part of the problem.
I consider it one of the most crucial pieces of equipment that should be made for reliability, and would prefer they cost double if they could be more reliable, but I doubt many others would agree.
Luckily I don't need to use them anymore.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
They are all subject to the harsh conditions, and elements in aquariums, but due to the economics, I have never found one better than another. If I get a slight shock putting my hands in a tank, I always suspect the heater before anything else, although it may not be.
I had a Hydor melt PVC into an arc when it stuck on, I've had titaniums, die after 2 months, same with all the other brands, so to me the economics of needing to be cheap enough to sell to wide market is part of the problem.
I consider it one of the most crucial pieces of equipment that should be made for reliability, and would prefer they cost double if they could be more reliable, but I doubt many others would agree.
Luckily I don't need to use them anymore.
That's a solid point. Have you ever used ink bird controllers for your heaters in the past? Curious what the room temp was in the summer time when you were in WI. My basement will probably get around the low 70s in the summer time here in the Chicago area. Do you think that's too low for tropical fish if I were to turn off the heaters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store