Whats better for a puffer, wider tank, or taller tank?

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
I think you could probably do more than one in the 65 if it's well planted, esp. since they explore all levels. I'm not sure the 33 would be enough for more than 1. They aren't total slugs but they're not spazzy like SAPs. They like to hunt around and stalk snails/look for food so it's a nice activity level IMO.

They will come to the front of the tank anytime you're near though! :) There is someone on here that keeps 3... Lemme see if I can find and tag them.
Oliver Knott has a group of them living together...not sure on tank size though. In fact, he has babies that are 52+ days old now.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Oliver Knott has a group of them living together...not sure on tank size though. In fact, he has babies that are 52+ days old now.
I was just about to mention that, Oliver Knott is the first to breed these guys in home aquaria...

Who is Oliver Knott?
Hes a well known aquascaper from Germany if i remember correctly...

You can look him up on google, he has some nice tank designs if you're ever running low on ideas and seen all of ammanos tanks ;)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I was hoping that people would be able to start breeding them, and make them more available and more inexpensive. :)

I'll check out his tanks, thanks!

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was hoping that people would be able to start breeding them, and make them more available and more inexpensive. :)

I'll check out his tanks, thanks!
This guy really seems to put a lot of care in raising these puffers, so hopefully he'll kick start a trend of breeding them and make them more widely available as you said :)

Reactions: magpie

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
That would be great!

Anyways, im going to go look at the 65 gallon this week, its got a couple of scratches and I'll see if i can either buff them out or fill them with something....from what i gather, it was a reef tank and algae in scratches is a huge problem, if i can seal the crack and have it clean then im fine with a scratch or two...

If there's enough space ni the sump, maybe i can breed mystery or ramshorn snails in it.... or i'll look for suggestions about snail breeding in another tank in the basement?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
It's really nice to have your own supply of snails. I personally would stick to ramshorn or pond snails though. Mystery snails just get big. It's better to stick with snails that don't get too big for the puffer in my opinion. That way you don't have snails in the tank that aren't an option. Although I guess you can crush them for him like I did with my MTS...

Reactions: Fat Homer

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Good point, i have some kind of black snail (small, maybe pond or bladder snail) that breed quickly!

the ramshorn and pond snails would probably be better in the sump anyways

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Sweet!

I'm not sure on cleaning tanks... pretty sure I've read vinegar. Search the forum, I've searched it before when I saw a salt tank for sale that I was interested in....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store