What's everyone's top favorite fish? (for the moment at least)

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Such a tough question. I want a tank with a RTGXB arowana and some nice black rays, mostly 1000 island BDs someday. I would probably stay disciplined and keep it at that, but adding a big ST dat and/or a lince catfish would be tough to not do. Same for a platinum gator gar, or piraiba. AUL too, and boesemani and snow leopards, and probably pearls too. See, this kind of rambling gets me off topic - just the aro and black rays.

It's pretty tough to choose between a top grade aro and a top grade black ray. In thinking though, if I could only have one tank - it would be for these:
View attachment 1395147
Uaru are tough to beat. Such an interesting fish, and IMO the best looking cichlid available. So if I gotta choose just one... it's the uaru. But I can't do without the black rays and aros ;)
Could do without all the other fish on that list, but sure wouldn't hurt to have them.
Those uaru are lovely...I'd get one but my tank wouldn't like the bioload with all my fish when they get to max size.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Those uaru are lovely...I'd get one but my tank wouldn't like the bioload with all my fish when they get to max size.
They're such cool fish, they beat all the monster fish for me. If I had to have one, it'd confidently be a group of these guys.
I say - start your tank over and do a uaru biotope ;)

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
They're such cool fish, they beat all the monster fish for me. If I had to have one, it'd confidently be a group of these guys.
I say - start your tank over and do a uaru biotope ;)
If only I had the space without reorganizing everything! But even a 225 would be strained if I added Uaru (even one) with this stock:

Young adult Oscar (11" last known, still growing) potential size ????
Juvie chocolate cichlid (6-7" TL, 4"SL) potential size 10-12"
Parrot (~6-7") potential size 8"-10"
Synodontis eupterus (~5-6") potential size 8-11"
Severum (~7") potential size 8"-10"

Guh...I keep seeing fish I like!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
If only I had the space without reorganizing everything! But even a 225 would be strained if I added Uaru (even one) with this stock:

Young adult Oscar (11" last known, still growing) potential size ????
Juvie chocolate cichlid (6-7" TL, 4"SL) potential size 10-12"
Parrot (~6-7") potential size 8"-10"
Synodontis eupterus (~5-6") potential size 8-11"
Severum (~7") potential size 8"-10"

Guh...I keep seeing fish I like!
225 you could do a uaru with that stock. I wouldn't keep a single though, there's definitely some shoaling activity there. Either do a pair (on their own) or a group, with or without other fish.
I agree a 225 with that stock and a group of uaru would be pretty overstocked.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
225 you could do a uaru with that stock. I wouldn't keep a single though, there's definitely some shoaling activity there. Either do a pair (on their own) or a group, with or without other fish.
I agree a 225 with that stock and a group of uaru would be pretty overstocked.
Yeah my only shot would be one Uaru...my young O is the equalizer because I have no idea his ultimate size. He's trending to the "larger size range", but we'll see. He just had a growth spurt. Not to mention territory issues...my fish are characters.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah my only shot would be one Uaru...my young O is the equalizer because I have no idea his ultimate size. He's trending to the "larger size range", but we'll see. He just had a growth spurt. Not to mention territory issues...my fish are characters.
Just a note if you do get into uaru, they're not very aggressive at all. An attack from an oscar wouldn't end well - personally I would not mix the two.
Think of them sort of as a cross between a discus and a severum. Similar water conditions to a discus, but more the attitude and temperament of a severum (a bit toned down, though).

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hmm...I saw a pic with Uaru with an Oscar, but it may have been a group of Uaru and single O, not sure. They sure are pretty though. Maybe once I get more space I'll check them out. Very pleasing to the eye.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store