What's in the box? It's polys!

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thanks for your input everyone!

it was definitely the Moke who's been biting her. I watched the moke clamp down on half the del's face and shake it. Also watched her draw blood on the del's pec fin, tail, head etc. It's not too badly injured, but I don't like seeing open wounds on my fish.

So I kinda freaked out before I read this thread.....just because the moke was doing so much biting....and might have added 2-3 tbsp of salt to the 55g. Hopefully not too much that will kill the plants. Also put the moke in 10 gal QT for the night. Probably will put her back in tomorrow, but just was worried she was gonna eat/ destroy the del. Del kept getting more and more bloody.

Remembered about the social hierachy thing from J jaws7777 mentioning sp.Delaware doing similar things. But didn't know if it was that or if she is just being aggressive and a jerk and trying to eat another poly.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Torpedo barb= Denisons barb= Roseline shark= Denisonii barb. It's a barb and known plant eater unfortunately. You may be able to curb their vegetation appetite by suppling zucchini, kale, nori. Didn't work for my filamented barbs, a close relative. They ate all that and my plants too. They are a great fish once larger size to live happily along side most polys. Very active too.
totally didn't know this about barbs. Thanks for sharing twentyleagues twentyleagues !

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
If you like the green tiger barbs you would probably like Torpedo barbs. They are a much rarer type of barb and get around 6 inches or so. They make a good poly tank mate for a planted aquarium I have witnessed a setup from a guy near me who had a lot of poly's in multiple tanks (where I bought my largest sen and 3 ornates) he had 6 Torpedo barbs, 2 sens, 1 huge Del in a planted aquarium. Looked good. I wanted his Del so bad but couldn't justify the cost and risk of adding to my setup due to its size.
do you have a planted set up right now with the ornates?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well that sux you are still having issues. I really don't like aggression like that, worries me that that fish is not able to have company and in my tanks that's not gonna work. I'm having same type of issues with my teug that magpie magpie is having with hers. No blood shed yet .....well that's not true but he had it coming which is another reason to be unhappy, you don't need a jerk fish teaching the other fish to behave badly.

Reactions: magpie and clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks for your input everyone!

it was definitely the Moke who's been biting her. I watched the moke clamp down on half the del's face and shake it. Also watched her draw blood on the del's pec fin, tail, head etc. It's not too badly injured, but I don't like seeing open wounds on my fish.

So I kinda freaked out before I read this thread.....just because the moke was doing so much biting....and might have added 2-3 tbsp of salt to the 55g. Hopefully not too much that will kill the plants. Also put the moke in 10 gal QT for the night. Probably will put her back in tomorrow, but just was worried she was gonna eat/ destroy the del. Del kept getting more and more bloody.

Remembered about the social hierachy thing from J jaws7777 mentioning sp.Delaware doing similar things. But didn't know if it was that or if she is just being aggressive and a jerk and trying to eat another poly.
This is kind of a new aspect in aggression for me lol sp.delaware can be aggressive bit its not serious. Sometimes she'll snap at the "air" in the direction of another poly you can hear the snap from a few feet away from the tank lol. But when she does make contact it doesnt cause injuries, split fins or scrapes so i take it as she holding back and just saying "im the boss"

Other trouble makers like the ornate, smaller pbb, and dabola endli caused damaged and were relentless to varying degrees.

I think your group will settle down just need a little tweaking

Reactions: magpie and clm08k

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
do you have a planted set up right now with the ornates?
No I don't have plants (cichlids would eat them) just nice black sand and multiple caves/logs for hides as I keep my poly's with american cichlids and a black ghost knife fish and two spotted gars. I love the oddballs. Over time some cichlids will definitely be re-homed once grown out.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
How is the Del doing? It's such a nice looking fish.

How are you doing? :/ I get really frustrated when there is any aggression in my tanks and I am happy when everything is settled. It's so tough sometimes getting a perfect mix and then you can relax and just enjoy. You've just been struggling and working so hard on your tank, and now this. I just really feel for you. If you have to rehome the Moke, it will be a stress reliever as much as it sucks to let her go. I know you love her. Argh! Hugs.

If it helps you any, along the road to my current settled mix I had to rehome the Palmas, a gorgeous Koi angel (I'm not really into angels but he was a cool fish), my Ctenopoma (also loved that fish), move my pencilfish because they were becoming snacks, move white tipped tetras because the Cteno hated them, but then moved them back once the Cteno left because they didn't have enough room in my smaller tank and they were beating up on each OTHER. I then got the puffer, who (supposedly uncharacteristically) was chomping the Polli and Teug, so had to move him to the small tank. Then the Teug started getting nippy and I almost lost it but she has been holding back so I'm at a good place now... and they're holding for an upgrade. Then who knows what the hell will happen. And I want some cichlids... so... yeah. LOL

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

How are you doing? :/ I get really frustrated when there is any aggression in my tanks and I am happy when everything is settled. It's so tough sometimes getting a perfect mix and then you can relax and just enjoy. You've just been struggling and working so hard on your tank, and now this. I just really feel for you. If you have to rehome the Moke, it will be a stress reliever as much as it sucks to let her go. I know you love her. Argh! Hugs.

If it helps you any, along the road to my current settled mix I had to rehome the Palmas, a gorgeous Koi angel (I'm not really into angels but he was a cool fish), my Ctenopoma (also loved that fish), move my pencilfish because they were becoming snacks, move white tipped tetras because the Cteno hated them, but then moved them back once the Cteno left because they didn't have enough room in my smaller tank and they were beating up on each OTHER. I then got the puffer, who (supposedly uncharacteristically) was chomping the Polli and Teug, so had to move him to the small tank. Then the Teug started getting nippy and I almost lost it but she has been holding back so I'm at a good place now... and they're holding for an upgrade. Then who knows what the hell will happen. And I want some cichlids... so... yeah. LOL
Great post

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
clm08k clm08k sorry ive been busy and been mia, sorry to hear you lost a del cause of the moke.
I knew from the start that the del was way to small with that moke when you first had it.
But atleast now you know first hand not to mix a small poly with large one, btw love the new del:)

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016

Mags, you are absolutely right; aggression is the worst. Thank you so much for keeping up and asking about my ongoing tank scenarios. That's part of the fun right? Heh. Btw, the water lettuce and Vals look awesome!!! I'm thinking of adding in some more driftwood pieces next.

Definitely remember when poor Udon got her tail shredded. That Palmas was beautiful, but too aggressive. I remember you were going through a lot with that and then the cteno were causing you problems. Had no idea about the koi Angel and the others. Then meatball acting a fool. Sheesh. Glad your current crew has been able to coexist peacefully. How's Ziti doing this week? Glad to hear s/he might be calming down. Fingers crossed. Lol T The cichlids. They are pretty, but there's no telling what they will act like hehe.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store