What's in the box? It's polys!

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
That Del has really nice solid uniform stripes! (And a non-tubby body shape. ;) )
What did you ask them to pick out for you?

Congrats! Looks like they are already buds.
I asked for the one with the most stripes!

Del is very nice! Barbs are jerks. Barbs are why we can't have anything nice.
thank you! Yeah I'm hoping they aren't the ones who nipped my del.
Wow sexy del !
thank you! She's so pretty!

Reactions: magpie

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Just when I thought everything was going well. I noticed the del has a bloody chin, part of a nostril missing, and a bloody tail. Yet she and the moke still snuggle? Hoping that the will get along and there won't be anymore injuries.

Should I up the water changes for her to heal? Not sure if I can add salt due to the plants?
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Leave the salt out. Just clean water.

Add salt for infections and open wounds or missing scales cause the slimecoat is gone. In this case no need for salt.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Man, your luck! :(

Watch closely over the next few days to see who the culprit is. It could just be establishing new heirarchy with the poly pack.

Would a barb be able to hurt the Del that much? Are either of the other polys injured? I think it's more likely that it was another poly, personally but I have never owned barbs.

They did a great job picking for you - that's a great looking Del!

Reactions: clm08k

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Man, your luck! :(

Watch closely over the next few days to see who the culprit is. It could just be establishing new heirarchy with the poly pack.

Would a barb be able to hurt the Del that much? Are either of the other polys injured? I think it's more likely that it was another poly, personally but I have never owned barbs.

They did a great job picking for you - that's a great looking Del!
Definitely looks like a poly attack to me. I saw one of my smaller ornates bite the tail of another larger ornate and hold on for a good second or two the other day. I was about to go break them up then it let go. Similar injury.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Put some black in the tank, don't like it right now but hopefully the polys will!
View attachment 1265488
Decided to go with 6 green tiger barbs. I like how they look....maybe they'll eat the algae off the plants lol.

It's funny watching these two trying to figure out the dynamics and snuggling.

View attachment 1265489
I'm not sure if willow will work anymore cause she's so spunky and sassy. And willow seems very pretty and calming.
View attachment 1265490 View attachment 1265491
Piggie/pinkie is turning a gold color. Which I really like.The green tiger barbs seem to like Piggie a lot. Always near him.
If you like the green tiger barbs you would probably like Torpedo barbs. They are a much rarer type of barb and get around 6 inches or so. They make a good poly tank mate for a planted aquarium I have witnessed a setup from a guy near me who had a lot of poly's in multiple tanks (where I bought my largest sen and 3 ornates) he had 6 Torpedo barbs, 2 sens, 1 huge Del in a planted aquarium. Looked good. I wanted his Del so bad but couldn't justify the cost and risk of adding to my setup due to its size.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you like the green tiger barbs you would probably like Torpedo barbs. They are a much rarer type of barb and get around 6 inches or so. They make a good poly tank mate for a planted aquarium I have witnessed a setup from a guy near me who had a lot of poly's in multiple tanks (where I bought my largest sen and 3 ornates) he had 6 Torpedo barbs, 2 sens, 1 huge Del in a planted aquarium. Looked good. I wanted his Del so bad but couldn't justify the cost and risk of adding to my setup due to its size.
Torpedo barb= Denisons barb= Roseline shark= Denisonii barb. It's a barb and known plant eater unfortunately. You may be able to curb their vegetation appetite by suppling zucchini, kale, nori. Didn't work for my filamented barbs, a close relative. They ate all that and my plants too. They are a great fish once larger size to live happily along side most polys. Very active too.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Torpedo barb= Denisons barb= Roseline shark= Denisonii barb. It's a barb and known plant eater unfortunately. You may be able to curb their vegetation appetite by suppling zucchini, kale, nori. Didn't work for my filamented barbs, a close relative. They ate all that and my plants too. They are a great fish once larger size to live happily along side most polys. Very active too.
My bad I didn't realize they were any more or less of a plant eater than other barb types.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store