What's on my bass?

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Guys, what is this on my temensis? It sort of looks like hole in the head but it is only right along the back where the dorsal meets the body. there is nothing on the basses head or lateral line. I have a slightly smaller temensis which has the same thing and both came from the same batch. I have a third temensis from a different batch and it doesn't have the condition and is completely fine. None of my other bass have any signs of this or hole in the head and are all flawless. My water parameters are great and they have a tremendously varied diet from various pellets, shrimp, tilapia, mackerel, sardines, smelt, salmon and whatever other fresh or frozen fish I can get my hands on.

the thing that confuses me is if it was a water condition I would imagine more of my bass would have it. That water is great though, it must be cause my rays are reeding in it. If it was diet, my other bass would have it too. So the question is two fold, first, what does my bass have and secondly could it be hereditary? Has anyone ever heard on batches of bass all having the same issue?

image.jpg

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Possible fighting? Almost looks like scrapes.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Do you use salt? If not it might be something to consider. If it is a scrape, it will help it heal. If it's a minor parasitic or fungal issue, the salt may help knock it out early. Anyone agree?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Do you use salt? If not it might be something to consider. If it is a scrape, it will help it heal. If it's a minor parasitic or fungal issue, the salt may help knock it out early. Anyone agree?

Salt is always good, I always keep some salt in the tank at all times and increase the amount to heal any injuries.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Guys, what is this on my temensis? It sort of looks like hole in the head but it is only right along the back where the dorsal meets the body. there is nothing on the basses head or lateral line. I have a slightly smaller temensis which has the same thing and both came from the same batch. I have a third temensis from a different batch and it doesn't have the condition and is completely fine. None of my other bass have any signs of this or hole in the head and are all flawless. My water parameters are great and they have a tremendously varied diet from various pellets, shrimp, tilapia, mackerel, sardines, smelt, salmon and whatever other fresh or frozen fish I can get my hands on.

the thing that confuses me is if it was a water condition I would imagine more of my bass would have it. That water is great though, it must be cause my rays are reeding in it. If it was diet, my other bass would have it too. So the question is two fold, first, what does my bass have and secondly could it be hereditary? Has anyone ever heard on batches of bass all having the same issue?
Looks like what my clown knife had. I found that there was a piece of my driftwood that was scratching him. Maybe check you dw and see if there are any branches that could scratch them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun

I agree 100%.

mofofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2015
Australia
Check the water ph, some don't react well to acidic water (low ph) and will get this. I have the same issue, tested water and ph dropped to 6, I added coral bones to sump to increase/buffer ph and fish are slowly recovering, takes about 4 weeks.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
add salt, observe. if the issue doesn't subside in a week or looks worse, I would consider doing a methylene blue dip to mitigate any possible fungal or parasitic issues.

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Check the water ph, some don't react well to acidic water (low ph) and will get this. I have the same issue, tested water and ph dropped to 6, I added coral bones to sump to increase/buffer ph and fish are slowly recovering, takes about 4 weeks.
My PH is typically around 7.0 but it has dropped to alittle over 6.0 some times if I feed them heavy a couple times this in the week. The interesting thing is that only 2 of the 3 temensis have it and they were from the same batch.

As for salt, how much should I add? My tank is close to 1000 gallons so it would be quite a bit I would imagine. Is salt safe to add with rays.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Nah man looks alot like a scrape off of somewhere on the aquarium (filter intake ,decor) or fighting. My oscar was bullying my Kelberi (I want to get rid of the stupid oscar soon as possible -.-) and he has a few scrapes just like this. But I encourage you use salt. And no don't worry, rays aren't sensitive to salt. Infact many ray keepers encourage using salt. But don't go too crazy though XD I was always worrried about every little scratch and scrape on some of my cichlids thinking it's HITH but HITH looks much more severe. As well as your bass has nice colours so it seems it has a healthy diet. GOOD LUCK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store