Whats the largetst fish I can hold in my pond?

iHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Can Fish that commonly live in temperatures of 25 (77 Fahrenheit) live in temperatures of 6 (42 Fahrenheit)? I live in melbourne and in summer it goes to around 26-27 (probably around 80 Fahrenheit) and in winter it is usually 6 degrees. (42 Fahrenheit).

shortypen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I live in North Phoenix, and my pond water temp can be as high as 96 during the summer, and as low as 44 in the winter. I was like you, enjoyed keeping variety of fish and then got my first koi, was all down hill after that..... One of my koi is about 30" long and a huge monster.

evilspaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2008
MA
shortypen;3838686; said:
I live in North Phoenix, and my pond water temp can be as high as 96 during the summer, and as low as 44 in the winter. I was like you, enjoyed keeping variety of fish and then got my first koi, was all down hill after that..... One of my koi is about 30" long and a huge monster.
What do you mean it was all down hill? (Did you get addicted to koi:naughty:?)

shortypen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
evilspaz;3841578; said:
What do you mean it was all down hill? (Did you get addicted to koi:naughty:?)
Sure did. Been keeping aquariums since I was a kid. Through the years had all sorts of sunfish, hybrid sunfish, some other natives plus some petshop fish. While looking for some more natives at a local pond, I spotted a huge koi and tried my best to catch it, but after about 10 trips couldn't. So just bought a pair of koi at a local petshop.

They were so friendly, grew so fast, and so neat looking that I upsized my pond and have adopted out all other fish, and just have koi now.

I know this forum is mostly about fish other than koi, and I think all the others are really cool too. But for me, I am hooked on koi.

100108_111436.jpg

Here is some of my pond stuff
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/index.htm

mgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2010
nowhereville
shortypen;3841844; said:
Sure did. Been keeping aquariums since I was a kid. Through the years had all sorts of sunfish, hybrid sunfish, some other natives plus some petshop fish. While looking for some more natives at a local pond, I spotted a huge koi and tried my best to catch it, but after about 10 trips couldn't. So just bought a pair of koi at a local petshop.

They were so friendly, grew so fast, and so neat looking that I upsized my pond and have adopted out all other fish, and just have koi now.

I know this forum is mostly about fish other than koi, and I think all the others are really cool too. But for me, I am hooked on koi.
you have some nice koi

justin

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
FL
I had both peacock bass and pacus in my pond and I live in central florida. When the water hit 67 F they both started to go down hill quickly. I soon heated it, but it was way smaller than 5500 gallons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store