What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

AZ Red

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2016
Oh how could I forget the afternoon that I was feeding my snowflake eel. I loved that guy. When I bought him, he was about 6" long, and the day in question, he was about 15".

So here I am feeding my eel. He's excited and swimming in laps through and around his rock, and I have a nice piece of krill in my forceps. He's getting ready to come back in for a strike, and goes for it. Mid-strike, one of my somewhat monstrous hermit crabs comes from out of nowhere, and clamps him right in the abdomen with his claws. Right in front of me. He died from the injury about 45min later.

AZR

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
My first "big"tank was a 55g I bought to give my Electric blue crays more room as the 29g (im pretty sure the first hatch happened in the 55g has been 9 years now lol) just was not cutting it for male and female electric bluecray. Once I had that 55g all set up I got my wife a number of mollies and guppys (we tried a pleco... guess how that turned out). There were lots of ghost shrimp( I just replenished them when they looked low) and 3 apple snails. So once my female cray decided her home was safe she berried up.

Needless to say I was very excited I added some realy tight fake grass and other things for the new crays to hide in (back then all decorations were plastic and I had purple and green gravel). So hatch day came and that first few weeks were almost magical to watch the babys follow momma I added a divider to keep my male seperate... This is where it all went sideways.

Turns out dividers are just ladders so that crays can reach swimming fish within a couple days all fish and snails were gone. One particular image comes to mind as the worst. A Gravid gold molly swam close to the little fake grass I had added (probobly going to have her babys) At which point a baby cray reached up and grabbed a fin in each claw....it hung on like a rodeo clown as that molly smashed around the tank until it got to close to the substrate again at which point it got swarmed by baby crays like ants.

In hind site I could have stopped it when the molly was thrashing but I figured it would shake the cray off it was not till the sea of blue washed over the molly that I realised it was doomed.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

gutless

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2016
To be fair I've read all your gruesome story and none of themhave got anything on my girlfriend was cleaning out her Fishtank she accidentally sucked the guts out of a favourite fish with a hosepipe with Tru story

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
We used to have a saltwater tank with a snowflake eel,Niger trigger,Picasso trigger, puffer, striped damsels , hermit crabs etc. one day my dad decided to add a bunch of domino damsels, and it was near feeding time, so all the fish started attacking the damsels, the water turned pink with blood. Lesson learned don't add fish at feeding time

Zanate

Feeder Fish
Oct 1, 2016
I have 3 tiger Oscar's in a custom 395 gal, meanest fish I've ever had... got them about an inch and a half long, now at 14, 16, and 19 inches, they kill anything... My wife said I had too many tanks, and made me get rid of my prize 250gal with my hoplias aimara... He was a good 15 inches, and mean as could be. Stuck him with my oscars thinking that they'd work it out and get along, or that Smiley (the aimara) would be dominant until I could rehome my oscars... half hour later, I see smiley going at it with Tank, my biggest Oscar, and he seemed to be holding his own, I was waiting for my wife to get back with the divider for the tank, 15 mins later, smiley is nowhere to be found... the Oscar's had ganged up on him and tore him apart... It was a sad day...

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
I have 3 tiger Oscar's in a custom 395 gal, meanest fish I've ever had... got them about an inch and a half long, now at 14, 16, and 19 inches, they kill anything... My wife said I had too many tanks, and made me get rid of my prize 250gal with my hoplias aimara... He was a good 15 inches, and mean as could be. Stuck him with my oscars thinking that they'd work it out and get along, or that Smiley (the aimara) would be dominant until I could rehome my oscars... half hour later, I see smiley going at it with Tank, my biggest Oscar, and he seemed to be holding his own, I was waiting for my wife to get back with the divider for the tank, 15 mins later, smiley is nowhere to be found... the Oscar's had ganged up on him and tore him apart... It was a sad day...
Yo you got pics of this 19" Oscar?

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I had three red bellies in a tank and had to leave town for 3 days. I came back to a tank full of dead fish. Evidently one of them had bitten off a piece of plastic plant which was then drawn into the power filter, locking up the impellor. Lessons learned, no more plastic plants, and if you use HOBs, use more than one so that if one fails for some reason the other(s) will keep your fish alive until you can remedy the situation. I'll not forget the "fragrance" that greeted me when I walked in the door.

Mr. Bill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
I introduced two small Arowanas ( still had yolk sacks) to my communal tank back in the late sixties and the rope fish that laid on the bottom of the tank for the past year or so swam immediately to the top and crunched on of my babies. That was back when one had to special order Arowanas and if lucky wait for only a month or so to get them. Needless to say I was not a very happy Aquarius that evening.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I introduced two small Arowanas ( still had yolk sacks) to my communal tank back in the late sixties and the rope fish that laid on the bottom of the tank for the past year or so swam immediately to the top and crunched on of my babies. That was back when one had to special order Arowanas and if lucky wait for only a month or so to get them. Needless to say I was not a very happy Aquarius that evening.
Yikes

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hmm... the grossest one was about a year or so ago, I was breeding mollies. One of the extremely pregnant ones I had started hemorrhaging out of nowhere. I walked in to go feed them and all I see is a huge thing of blood all over her backside with her struggling to swim and a fry sticking out with some eggs on the bottom of the tank. I think it must have been some complication while giving birth. I picked her out since she was really suffering, and she started to bleed all over my hand before I could get her into a container to clove oil her. She still had some fight in her, thought she was dead or knocked out enough with the clove oil. When I poured some alcohol in to end her suffering, she flopped real hard and burst open a bit....... eeeuegh, nearly barfed. Nuked my hand with soap after that and nuked the tank with aquarium salt as a precaution (thought maybe there could be a disease), lost almost all of my live plants except my vals and anubia too from that whole ordeal but luckily the rest of my mollies were just fine.

Another time was when I was 2 (like one of my earliest memories lol), my dad had a 2.5 gallon filtered fish bowl. He got me some feeder fish and sat me down on the counter while he was doing a water change. I grabbed them from the bowl and ripped them apart. Oh my.... and also speaking of old stuff, when I was real little having a sleepover with my cousin, my uncle left for work and my aunt had to do a water change on their 55 gallon tank. She accidentally left the siphon in and all the goldfish dried up. Me and my cousin were traumatized a bit, they had those fish for years. :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store