whats wrong with my anemone

James.Lafontaine

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Long Island NY
I was just wondering if anyone knew whats wrong with my anemone. my water parameters are ph: 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, kh 8.0, phosphate .25, calcium 440ppm. the salinity is 1.026 and ive had the tank set up for 6 months and had the anemone for 2 months DE3506A5-241B-4B03-84BE-47AFB41B0156_1_105_c.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What kind of nem?
How long has it been like this?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve read that they do close up after feeding.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Anemone especially newly acquired can suffer from several things till they get established, and should be acclimated to your tank and lights.
To much or to strong light is stressful if the anemone isn’t acclaimed or not enough light and no additional feeding they can slowly starve.
Also when purchasing if the anemone is attached to a surface it’s foot and be damaged when removed if not done properly.
You say you’ve had the anemone for 2 months have you been feeding? Have you noticed it moving around or does it stay put.
Moving around is normal unless it’s a lot. If you notice it constantly moving could indicate and unhappy or hungry anemone.

. What are the tank mates?

Last edited:

James.Lafontaine

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Long Island NY
Anemone especially newly acquired can suffer from several things till they get established, and should be acclimated to your tank and lights.
To much or to strong light is stressful if the anemone isn’t acclaimed or not enough light and no additional feeding they can slowly starve.
Also when purchasing if the anemone is attached to a surface it’s foot and be damaged when removed if not done properly.
You say you’ve had the anemone for 2 months have you been feeding? Have you noticed it moving around or does it stay put.
Moving around is normal unless it’s a lot. If you notice it constantly moving could indicate and unhappy or hungry anemone.
i have been feeding the anemone mysis shrimp and I put it in a good hole in my rock and its been there since. it hasn't moved at all

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve read that possible soap residue can close it up. Could be digesting. All your parameters seem in line.

Reactions: James.Lafontaine

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
yeah no way soap is getting into my tank lol
Could just be from washing hands before cleaning. Just something I read.
Nitrates seem low, they should be higher for the anemone and any possible corals.
Any fish? Could be irritated from a clown trying to host (if you have one).
What is the lighting, flow, etc.?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store