What's wrong with silica?

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
The true silica sand is used in pool filter because of the hard and sharp edges on each grane of sand. It catches the dirt much better than rounded edges sand. The sílica sand is bad for rays! It's like small granes of glass.I had already this problem with a Marble Motoro that was put in a silica sand aquuarium. Two days after i had to remove her. The underneath was all red and i'm sure if she stayed there longer i would have big problems.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The true silica sand is used in pool filter because of the hard and sharp edges on each grane of sand. It catches the dirt much better than rounded edges sand. The sílica sand is bad for rays! It's like small granes of glass.I had already this problem with a Marble Motoro that was put in a silica sand aquuarium. Two days after i had to remove her. The underneath was all red and i'm sure if she stayed there longer i would have big problems.
I have heard and seen the same thing multiple times. Red irritation on the belly from certain sands. Play sand is a generally safe alternative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store