When you pick out your fish, what do you look for?

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
Great reponses. I ususally pick the most dominant too. But about 5 years ago I needed a female for my male midevil. Well petco had 2(because somebody ordered 3 and only bought 1) and I decided to SAVE the beat up one. Well sure enough SHE healed up perfectly and about a year later I was able to pair her up with my male. Yes it was a lucky guess but sometimes its nice to save a fish. So the moral of my story is it depends on what you need/want at that time.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
Great reponses. I ususally pick the most dominant too. But about 5 years ago I needed a female for my male midevil. Well petco had 2(because somebody ordered 3 and only bought 1) and I decided to SAVE the beat up one. Well sure enough SHE healed up perfectly and about a year later I was able to pair her up with my male. Yes it was a lucky guess but sometimes its nice to save a fish. So the moral of my story is it depends on what you need/want at that time.
Cheers !!!!

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I've done this a few times some was even given to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
In a tank of multiples I tend to choose the largest and smallest in hopes of getting opposite sexes. Breeding is a high water mark for me regarding my fishkeeping, so it's normally on my mind. Beyond that, I tend to go for the fish that best exemplify what I should expect from that species, at that size/age. Aside from that, I look for marks of good physical health.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I usually look for larger, more healthy looking individuals with nice, healthy fins. You never want to go for the smallest fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I do that (get largest and smallest) in a tank full of otherwise indistinguishable cichlids in order to increase my odds of getting a male and a female. So far, it's worked literally every time! :cool:

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Well, I get most if not all of my fish from members on here or vendors from here...

So good pictures?

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
There aren't many LFS around here anymore, but when I do buy, I usually get groups of 4-6 fish. If I cannot determine the gender of the fish by physical traits, I try to get a mix of the larger and smaller fish, hoping to get at least a pair out of the group. I can't remember the last time I purchased a single, juvenile fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store