Where can I get a long nose gar?

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
rehobothaquatics.com he has them. Go to the website or best way to get faster response is on his facebook and meesage him. He is lsow to repsond but keep trying. Hes know for his bichirs but has lots of gars.

Reactions: tlindsey

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
rehobothaquatics.com he has them. Go to the website or best way to get faster response is on his facebook and meesage him. He is lsow to repsond but keep trying. Hes know for his bichirs but has lots of gars.
Thanks for the connection, however I'm worried it won't work out. His fish seem to be wild
caught and may not be hardy in my area. And since I'm planning to keep the fish outside that would be a problem for me. Thanks again for the reply though.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
The longnose gar should survive where you're at regardless of where it was initially from. Their native range extends up further north that you are currently.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
The longnose gar should survive where you're at regardless of where it was initially from. Their native range extends up further north that you are currently.
I would like to think so, but Humble Texas is sub tropical and Virginia is not. The Gar there may not be cold hardy this far north even though longnose gar still live here. I will ask to be sure.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
You could always try fishing for them if they are native around you. I would double check on the legality though.
Yeah they are legal to keep here. I don't want to catch an adult though. I want to grow out a little one and they are harder to find. Rehoboth can only get adults this time of year and since I'm unsure about the cold hardiness of his stock I'm just going to have to wait till next year and try to catch one. If I'm unable I'll buy one from him when he gets smaller ones.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I would like to think so, but Humble Texas is sub tropical and Virginia is not. The Gar there may not be cold hardy this far north even though longnose gar still live here. I will ask to be sure.
I guarantee you they will survive just fine it's only climate zone 7A and gar are tough. Unless you were talking about a small pond that froze over with thick ice for long periods of time it will not be an issue.

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I'm having a go this coming friday in catching a few smaller gar myself. I already have one alligator gar and one (what I believe) to be a spotted gar. Make that two, caught a 20 inch spotted the other day and it's housed at my fathers as he wanted one to keep for some time.
Soon enough these fish will be housed in a newly built outdoor pond about 3k gallons that is going to be 16x17 and 2.5 foot deep. The freeze level here is only 8 inches in my area. These will be housed with lily pads and a nice log to hide amongst as well as a UV sterilizer and waterfall for water movement. I aim to start my own thread with photo updates on the build as it begins. Already have a koi pond built but really dont want to introduce gar to that! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store