Where Freshwater Stingrays Are Illegal To End All

wolfsangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
houston
can we check and make sure for Texas because i know several people with rays AND i know two stores that sale them, and i would rather not be around if they get busted ^.^

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
wolfsangel;2255102; said:
can we check and make sure for Texas because i know several people with rays AND i know two stores that sale them, and i would rather not be around if they get busted ^.^
you can have salt water rays, but freshwater is a no no

wolfsangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
houston
"
Prohibited Exotic Species

The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/

so ahah, so they are "illegal" but you can have them with a permit! *plots*

Reactions: Oscar lover 868

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
UNKNOWN_MALONE;2335862; said:
Why are FW sting rays illegal in TX anyway?
In theory the water is warm enough that if a pair of rays were released they could breed and throw off the ecosystem

captkrill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
Tyler, TX
Sorry to revive an old thread. I live in Texas and have seen multiple vendors with Freshwater Rays, some in Dallas. Though none of them are for sale.

So my question is, what exactly is illegal in Texas? The sale of them? Having in general?

For instance, can I go to Lousiana and BUY one to keep in my house in Texas?

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
AndrewMack;3210678; said:
how do you get a permit to own/sell?
You have to go through the wild life fish and game service i think. But they are near impossible to get. The only non-aquarium that i know of to have a permit is. Dr. Richard Ross and he is the leader in stingray knowledge

MTH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
SoCal
I'm located in California and would love to own f/w stingray. I doubt it will ever happen but are these laws for all f/w stingrays period, pure bred and crosses? I know in some situations crosses can be kept. Such as reptiles. If you have a pure CA native Rosy Boa you would need a permit to keep it, but if it is a cross you can keep it with no permit. I wonder if this rule would work with stingrays.

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
African_Fever;1795660; said:
I don't know if there are any restricted fish in Canada. In 20 years in the hobby I've never come across a single thing or even mention. Rays are ok in all provinces because our water is just too cold for anything to survive if it escaped or was released.
i've actually found one, i was a little upset when learned that they were illegal, and they are glo-fish, apparently they glow in the dark, legal in us, not canada

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
KING1307;4015416; said:
i've actually found one, i was a little upset when learned that they were illegal, and they are glo-fish, apparently they glow in the dark, legal in us, not canada

Probably because they are genetically made to glow in the dark.... people injecting dye to make them..... people need to get a life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store