Where is a good place to order specific gravel/substrate?

Kalashnikov1408

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Im looking for something specific I cant seem to find anywhere locally. Im looking tor dark slate colored gravel, pebbles about the size of a pin head or pool filter sand of the same color. Is there a place online I can order this from? Ive seen the color gravel in tanks online but cant find it anywhere. The color is pretty close to the MFK website backdrop. Replies or even pictures are greatly appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Im looking for something specific I cant seem to find anywhere locally. Im looking tor dark slate colored gravel, pebbles about the size of a pin head or pool filter sand of the same color. Is there a place online I can order this from? Ive seen the color gravel in tanks online but cant find it anywhere. The color is pretty close to the MFK website backdrop. Replies or even pictures are greatly appreciated.

J jaws7777

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Not trying to be a snot today, but I hope this will help your search. Pebbles are not smaller than 2 mm, (Krumbein phi scale) and a pin head (diameter) is 1-1.9 mm, so there is no pebble that is the size of a pinhead.

Gravel, isn't called pebbles at that small a size. It's only called pebbles at 4mm (Udden-Wetworth scale.) At 2mm, it's called granular gravel.

If you want something the size of a pinhead, what you are looking for is very course sand (1-2 mm), or course sand (.5-1 mm.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Polyaddict86

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Jake, if you're looking for a substrate that is colored other than tan or white, consider using a product normally used for pool coatings as it comes in multiple colors.

You would need to find a local distributor for this type of product so it depends on where you live. I've used Estes' Permacolor Quartz Trowel-Rite size and Spectraquartz F-grade size in all my tanks for over 10 years.

You can check out this link http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...amond-spectra-ceramaquartz-pfs-play-sand.html from another forum for some pics and descriptions of various manufacturer's products.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would go to a local abrasives company in the area.
In Milwaukee, my choice was a place called "Garnet Abrasives", I found it after talking to some Bonzai tree growers.
The place supplies water treatment plants with filter media, garden centers with exotic colored material, sand blasters and aquarium stores etc etc.
I could usually buy a 50lb bag of most substrate for $5+/-.

Reactions: Kalashnikov1408

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Tractor supply sells a sand blasting "sand" by black diamond. Its dark mostly some of it is slightly greenish charcoal colored in the bags I got anyway, but overall its dark charcoalish. Size I got and was recommended to get in blasting abrasives is 30/40. So if you don't like that color at least stick to that size in other brands J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 and a few others use a garnet blasting sand that is red in color from Barton I could not find it anywhere near me. But that stuff is red anyways I think you'll like the black diamond, I mixed it in my main tank with pfs and put it in my grow out/refugium.

Kalashnikov1408

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks a lot. Ill try tractor supply I live near one and try to look up some of those companies. I was talking to someone who sells succulents and they showed me bags of shale they use to decorate arrangements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store