Where to get cheap discus online?

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
Does anybody know any websites to get some cheap discus...I dont want to sound cheap but i am only 14 yrs old and do not have a steady source on income.. I try to do jobs to keep up with my 55g and now i am starting a 29g with one or two small discus with some neons. Any sites or stores around the Philadelphia area will help..I am going to try Big Al's (Best Fish Store)

Thanks

xFLEAxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Jersey
You can get a 6" Wild Discus from Brazil off www.aquascaponline.com for only $50. They are also located in New Jersey not too far from you so the shipping cost won't be too bad. Good Luck.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
If you can't afford to get a group of 4-6 plus keep up with $20-40 a week for food and maintenance, then discus are not for you.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
WyldFya;1962735; said:
If you can't afford to get a group of 4-6 plus keep up with $20-40 a week for food and maintenance, then discus are not for you.

I have a daughter that's 12 years old and she has a group of 6 discus in a 100 Gallon tank. She doesn't spend $20-40 a week for food and maintenance. All of her discus eat dried food and she changes her water every 2 weeks. I doubt it costs her that much a month to keep her discus healthy. If she spent that much, I can guarantee you , she wouldn't have discus. The Doctor.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
WyldFya;1962735; said:
Your exaggerated, my dad kept 2 breeding pair, roughly 5" each in a planted 55G tank, and daily water change. He only pay $30 for a month on Hikari blood worms and the discus are getting 3 meals a day and very healthy

I agree maintance can be hand full, but $20-40 on food per week, thats a little too much

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I wouldn't buy cheap discus personally. Even a cheap discus will run you $30+ and you might lose it if the quality isnt there. Id rather dish out more money and have a healthy good looking fish than spend less and get less. Honestly though, at 14 you're looking at a large investment to keep these fish as far as getting started goes and their upkeep isn't cheap either, although it is not $20 - 40 a week unless you're doing something really special for them. You are also going to have to be prepared to take really good care of them or no matter what you spend it will be a losing proposition.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
From what you posted I would just keep a nice school of tetras. I would wait on the discus. Just my opinion.
If you want to get deep into discus you can easily spend $40 a week on the best foods, water changes, filtering with peat, R/O water, and the list goes on. They are a high demand fish if you want to get the best from them.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
I would suggest you contact your local fish club. (I think there are at least two in Philadelphia.) They might have some local breeders that are willing to sell you some very young ones that will be cheap. (They wont have much color until you grow them out yourself.)

If you get them that young, then you will need to do a large amount of water changes to keep them from stunting. As for food. Well I tend to just feed mine blood worms, NLS and then the occasional treats. It might add up to 20 bucks a month... (I tend to buy blood worms at 16oz for 10 bucks, and buy nls in the gallon buckets, but I have a lot more fish than you so I don't know how you plan to do it.)

DigThemLows

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Sacramento, CA
please only get adults if you are only going to do 2.............you will spend lots of money on meds and other stuff trying to keep them healthy if you buy juvies...........like everything else in life you get what you pay for! Discus are a schooling fish and you really should do 5 or more. And yes, I'm sure some folks have 2 in a small tank that they spend very little money on and don't do nearly enough water changes..........and yes they could be happy..............but.........there are many many keepers out there with years of experience that will tell you to go with a minimum of 55 gallons and 5-8 juvies.........bare bottom helps too. Discus are fun, beautiful, and not too hard, have fun, read alot and enjoy!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store