Which Filter To Buy?? Help!!

Jonny Steele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Bedford Texas
ok, i have a Marine land 350 HOB filter for my 55g tank. It just doesnt seem to be able to handle the tank by itself and has very little water flow, so i decided to deal with the noise of the Top Fin 60 that came with the tank and run both.......Well the Top Fin took a dump yesterday, the impellor gets jammed within 10 mins of startup, ive never used it before, its CLEAN!! and i cant get it to work.

Im looking into getting 1 canister filter to do my whole tank so i can get rid of the HOB filter.

Ive never used a canister and dont know much about them. I dont have much money, looking to spend less than about $90 ( i can get a brand new canister at petsmart for $88)

I dont need all the bells and whistles, just one that does what my HOB does and has a high flow, that is powerful enough to clean my 55g by its self.

Any suggestions?? Maybe ebay?? Ones to stay away from??? Thanks!!!

LoganBlade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
Boston, MA
I am not sure about every one because my biggest set up now consists of 3 - 29gals and a long 30. all have HOB filters and as for noise I love the trickling and as for keeping me up it is not an issue. I sometimes will wake from a dream about waterfalls but not waking because of noise.
each have 2 hobs except for one that has an internal. Just get aEmperor 400 Power Filter - up to 80 Gallon from here or petsmart.http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/214081/product.web. That is just me.

Michiba54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Florida
What is your 55 stocked with and what is your w/c schedule?

People can give you a better answer if you provide from info. :)

Jonny Steele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Bedford Texas
LoganBlade;4448896; said:
I am not sure about every one because my biggest set up now consists of 3 - 29gals and a long 30. all have HOB filters and as for noise I love the trickling and as for keeping me up it is not an issue. I sometimes will wake from a dream about waterfalls but not waking because of noise.
each have 2 hobs except for one that has an internal. Just get aEmperor 400 Power Filter - up to 80 Gallon from here or petsmart.http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/214081/product.web. That is just me.
Its not the water noise thats the prob, its the impellor noise on the Top Fin models, sounds like there are ball bearings beating the crap out of the impellor housing, lol.

Michiba54;4448983; said:
What is your 55 stocked with and what is your w/c schedule?

People can give you a better answer if you provide from info. :)
W/C????

I have 3 chiclids, 1 goldfish, 2 small corys, 1 sucker fish, and 1 large shrimp and a missing fiddler crab.

Michiba54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Florida
w/c = water change.

Your cichlids and goldfish have differents needs, but as for the filter an aqua-clear 70 or 110 should work. You can leave your Marine land 350 on there too.

Jonny Steele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Bedford Texas
Michiba54;4449128; said:
w/c = water change.

Your cichlids and goldfish have differents needs, but as for the filter an aqua-clear 70 or 110 should work. You can leave your Marine land 350 on there too.
Im looking for a canister filter.

Michiba54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Florida
Jonny Steele;4449190; said:
Im looking for a canister filter.
Dont think a canister is gonna give you what your looking for, especially for under $90. The only canister filters I've used were a Fluval 405 an a Marineland Magnum 350 that is rigged to a UGF. So cant really give you any advice on which to go with, sorry.

jagd24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
michigan
save your money for a rena canister filter. They arent much more expensive and do the job. You can get a aquaclear 100 right now and that is a hang on the back filter as well, but is the best IMO. Like its been stated not much you can do canister/hassle wise with 90$ unless you buy used.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store