Which heaters to buy

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
so over the past few years I have switched my tanks over to titanium heaters and Ranco controllers. But i already had to replace two titanium heaters within the few year period. This is not acceptable to me so I’m looking to see what you guys are using. My old ebo jagers lasted probably 15 years

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
so over the past few years I have switched my tanks over to titanium heaters and Ranco controllers. But i already had to replace two titanium heaters within the few year period. This is not acceptable to me so I’m looking to see what you guys are using. My old ebo jagers lasted probably 15 years

Personally I would go back to using Jaeger.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I run a Jager with a ranco, no problems so far.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
And just run them with the controller I’m guessing. I can’t figure out how titanium rods just crap out.
What brand of titanium heaters have you used? I dont hear that happening often so corious as well.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
And just run them with the controller I’m guessing. I can’t figure out how titanium rods just crap out.
Crapped out how? Stuck on? Not heating?

Why don't you pull them apart and try to figure it out? Fair chance it will be pretty obvious, in my experience...Well, limited experience. Both of the failed heaters I pulled apart it was obvious. The coil of nichrome wire loops back and forth between a bunch of thin glass tubes, and both cases at the edge of one of the glass tubes the wire had broken.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've got Jagers and cheapo AquaOne/etc on my tank, all running off a controller (electrician friend made it from an STC1000). My 2c is that if you're not relying on the thermostat in the heater then go cheap, 300W is 300W, and I've found that with most cheap aquarium heaters it seems to be the termostat that fails, not the element.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Crapped out how? Stuck on? Not heating?

Why don't you pull them apart and try to figure it out? Fair chance it will be pretty obvious, in my experience...Well, limited experience. Both of the failed heaters I pulled apart it was obvious. The coil of nichrome wire loops back and forth between a bunch of thin glass tubes, and both cases at the edge of one of the glass tubes the wire had broken.
They’re not heating anymore.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I run the jaegers now in both my tanks. The do a good job. However I do find the prevision of the temperature dial is not as good on the two newer ones I have compared to my older one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store