Which one of these rare fish should I get?

justslide11

Feeder Fish
Oct 8, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm a novice fish collector, however, I'm not too knowledgeable on the different fish types. I have been a by stander in the forums, and really enjoy it! Love the website- :)

There are a few rare or hard to find fish that I am interested in adding to my collection. I just purchased a new 75 gallon tank, and would like to have one of these guys in there (or 2 depending on the size & which one I end up going with in a 75 gallon tank)...

Here is the list... from you experience or knowledge, which of these fish are the rarest (as far as hard to find, and high in $$):

Datnioides pulcher - Wide Bar Datnoid

Datnioides undecimradiatus - Thin Bar Datnoid

Geophagus steindachneri - Red Hump Eartheater

If you were limited to the fish above, which would you get?

I really like all of the above, but want opinions on which of the above you would get, and any information as far as the personalities of these fish. I'm not new to the game, but would also like to know which of the above require least-most attention.

Thanks in advance for your answers, this is my first post here... and it won't be my last!! :)

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
:welcome:to MFK.

The rarest and most expensive fish on your list would be the Widebar Dat, followed by the Thinbar Dat, with the least rare and expensive being the Geo.

I would choose the Widebar, as I reckon it is the most impressive looking. It does however get quite large, they can reach 24'' eventually. It would be alright in your 75g for a long time as Dats are relatively slow growing fish, but you would need to upgrade to a larger tank somewhere down the track.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Wide Bar

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I'd go with the red hump, although it is a much more common and much more inexpensive fish. They are very interesting fish, and the behaviors between the male and its females is pretty interesting to watch.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Just one?:(????......i guess a widebar.
AND WELCOME TO MFK!!!!

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
the widebar would be the most rare and hard to aquire. if you're going for status, that would be your fish.

personally, i like the thin bars just as much. very attractive without the price tag.
(still a good chunk of change though if you get a big one)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store